saving time on coffee cake

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by phoebe, Nov 10, 2009.

1. phoebe

phoebe

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    We're hosting a meeting in the morning and want to serve the "Sour Cream Coffee Cake with Brown Sugar-Pecan Streusel" from Cook's Illustrated (if you haven't tried it; it's fabulous.)
    However it involves a number of steps and we don't want to get up TOO terribly early :rolleyes: so we're looking for ways to shorten the prep process.

Could we make the streusels (one is used as filling for a few layers and the other as topping) tonight and just refrigerate them? They involve AP flour, white and dark brown sugars, cinnamon, butter, and chopped pecans. I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I wanted to make sure none of the tastes would go south on me.

I don't think there's anything I can do about the coffee cake itself since it involves eggs, butter, and sour cream. But having the streusels out of the way would help.

thanks!

2. jellly

jellly

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Yes, you can definitely make the streusels ahead. I am assuming your coffeecake is a basic creaming method. If so, you could also have your other dry ingredients (except sugar) measured out and ready to go in one container and your butter in another at room temp, so it will mix easily. If you really want to get ahead, I bet you could mix up the batter and chill it overnight without effecting the end product. I have done this with countless muffin batters, cake mixes and even coffeecake batter at a bakery I worked for and they kept well in the fridge for 2-3 days before baking.
    Good luck

3. phoebe

phoebe

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thank you, Jelly!