Saving sabayon

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by danimalarkey, Oct 5, 2005.

1. danimalarkey

danimalarkey

I've never made sabayon before, but would like to serve a bourbon-spiked sabayon with a flourless chocolate cake. If I make the sabayon a day ahead, will it keep?

Or, will it somehow fall apart while sitting in my fridge?

2. henry

henry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    This is my own experience, but I used to make a peach shnapps laced sabayon that I served on fruit for breakfast. I'd make it the night before and it held together well.

The last time I made it, I got the bright idea to use an electric hand mixer to beat it, rather than a whisk, over the bain-marie. Saybayon flew everywhere. Haven't made it since then.

H.

3. harpua

harpua

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Hmm,.. never had to keep a sobayon before, only the mousse we made it out of. I would think that if you put that hot melted sugar in it (like a swiss merangue) it would help it keep, right? IT kind of cooks it, no?

4. sucrechef

sucrechef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Assuming that you cook the sabayon completely, it should hold overnight in the fridge...however, if you should lose volume, simply re-whip to incorporate more air. This can even be done in the mixer as you do not need to do it over the heat.

5. danimalarkey

danimalarkey

I actually braved using an electric mixer over the stove-top, and... well, I had some cleaning up to do. but with a hurt wrist, I didn't really have a choice.

Then again, with a hurt wrist, why did I think I should try a sabayon in the first place? ^_^

And thanks, too, for the tip, sucrechef.

-Dan

6. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    If your whipping something that spatters. Get a clear plastic bag. Set your bowl in it. Get a velcro strap (home depot 1.99 for 6). Grab your mixer and put in bowl. Gather the bag up and arounf your mixer wrist. Seal it off with the velcro and go to town. You can almost milk down the spatter. It also works on a double boiler. If the bag sweats then cut a hioe in the bottom of the bag and let the bowl drop through a bit so the steam is in direct contact with the bowl. I do it all the time at home. fro cream I use small deep bowls with this method and the cream is up in no time.