Saved by zero - freezing

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kevin20422, Jan 30, 2010.

1. kevin20422

kevin20422

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Two freezer related questions.

1. I am finding myself with lots of food I cant keep up with, is there much lost in freezing for a week or so item such as cooked green bean, rice, chicken, soup. I am just not going to watch it go to waste, our tummies cannot keep up with my culinary zeal.

2. I know air is the enemy of freezing but I sure love those glass snap lock square and rectangular food storage containers. They stack neat and I can even get a couple in my front pockets for easy carrying to work, the smallest ones. For short periods of time is the air space in a snap lock container going to be an issue.

Perhaps some exhaustive taste and nutritional studies have been done that clearly demark the effect of airspace on food subjected to freezing.

2. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Don't know about "exhaustive studies", but you can solve the airspace problem in storage containers by laying down a piece of plastic wrap and pushing/pressing it down onto the surface of the stored food so there is no air between the food and the wrap; then put on the lid. The wrap is so thin that there's no problem with sealing the lid.

Mike (exhausted from studying) :rolleyes:

3. kevin20422

kevin20422

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Mike, it is 5:30 in Colorado and I have awoken and gotten you email-en.

Your informative reply is both informative and encouraging.

Get some rest you "day brightener".

4. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    As for your first question, why not make one day a week a cook from the freezer day, and not cook anything new? Use your imagination with whaats there, It's gotta be used sometime otherwise its just a waste of time and effort. Not to mention storage space. Have your wife pull out 5 ingredients at random that you must cook with and make a game of it :)

5. cabosailor

cabosailor

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Personally I'm fond of the food saver vacuum system. We usually stock up on various cuts of meat every 2-3 months. When I get back from the store I break it down into portions that accomodate myself and the missus, e.g., a couple of chicken breasts. A few moments with the vacuum sealer, label what it is and the date and pop the packages in the chest freezer in the garage.

One exception is for peppers. I like to have a selection of jalapeno, habanero, serrano, etc but if I just put them in the freezer they defrost kind of mushy. I suspect that the regular freezer takes too long resulting in large, cell damaging, ice crystals. Now when I get a bunch of good looking peppers I get a block of dry ice. I put that in a lunch box size cooler and then pop the peppers in. Voila, just about flash frozen. From there they get packaged and put in the freezer.

Rich