Sauce Lost it's flavor

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by tmark, Feb 26, 2015.

1. tmark

tmark

Exp:
    At home cook
    I tried I recipe last night that had me heat the BBQ sauce on the side and add it after cooking the meat.  The meat was a 2 lbs. Pork Butt that I slow cooked in a crock for 8 hours.  The sauce was Sweet Baby Ray's regular ; Mango ; Jack Daniels ; Honey and Chipolte Chili Powder.  The sauce was delicious but when I put it in with the meat and then cook on high for 1 hour,  like the recipe said,  it lost most of that flavor.  In particular the mango and Jack Daniels really was noticeable before.  Where did I go wrong?

2. mckallidon

mckallidon Banned

Exp:
    Line Cook
    How much sauce?  Two pounds cooked or before cooking?  Anything added to the meat during cooking?

The flavors may standout on a spoon, but may get lost in the mix, especially depending on your sauce to meat ratio.

3. yeller

yeller

Exp:
    Other
    Were you trying to do pulled pork? Add the sauce on the meat, you just don't want cold sauce on meat. 

4. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    How much liquid was in the crock?

5. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Alcohol will lose it's impact in an hour of cooking. Fruit will blend in as well as losing it's acidity. That's why you often add lemon right at the end of cooking. Your recipe probably worked as intended, it just wasn't the best recipe. 

mckallidon likes this.