Sauce Help

Joined May 14, 1999
Can anyone here help me recall the name of a sauce I frequently made as a youth? It was a Hollandaise Mousseline with fish veloute added. In my younger days it was set atop a stuffed lobster and placed under a salamander where it would puff and brown.

Thank you!

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Can anyone here help me recall the name of a sauce I frequently made as a youth? It was a Hollandaise Mousseline with fish veloute added. In my younger days it was set atop a stuffed lobster and placed under a salamander where it would puff and brown.

Thank you!
Sounds kinda like lobster thermidor or newburg?

Joined Feb 8, 2015
Sounds like a glacage, A hollandaise, fold in whipped cream, put it under a broiler, had it on the menu a fancy place I worked, was hit or miss with the guests(mostly American) who probably don't know what a hollandaise is

Joined Feb 8, 2015
Vin Blanc, just means white wine used in other sauces. So you whip a mousilline in plain white wine?? Which would suck. Not new burg or thermador, crushing crayfish shells/ lobster shells doin't it right

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Vin Blanc, just means white wine used in other sauces. So you whip a mousilline in plain white wine?? Which would suck. Not new burg or thermador, crushing crayfish shells/ lobster shells doin't it right
Sauce vin blanc from classical French cuisine is Hollandaise with reduced fish fumet made with white wine added to it. A mousseline is Hollandaise combined with whipped cream.

Thermador involves bechamel and mustard, not Hollandaise. Newburg uses a sherry veloute and tomalley, not Hollandaise.

Chefron was looking for a sauce name, not personal opinions nor a cooking lesson.

Glacage is a technique not a sauce name.

Last edited:
Joined Jan 6, 2013
Since it sounds very old school - barvoroise, royal, or natuna sauces could be pretty close.

Joined May 5, 2010
I did the same thing on a portion of French Turbot and garnished it with orange segments. We called it "American" sauce but I know that's not it.

Top Bottom