Sarku Japan: Chicken Teriyaki?

Joined Jan 16, 2014
I going to attempt to make this for 12 people......thought on how many thighs I should use per person for a serving....I bought boneless skinless thighs at Costco.

Joined Jan 17, 2014
We went to the Sarku Japan at the Tacoma mall for the first and LAST time. We had  the treriyaki  chicken with steamed rice. It was so greasy and tasteless.  I should have gotten my money back  I didn't know steamed rice could be greasy The film stayed in my mouth all day.

Joined Dec 22, 2014
Dean, thank you for your time refining this. I would love to try your recipe. Pls send when you can. Thanks!

Joined Jul 21, 2009

Dean, thank you for your time refining this. I would love to try your recipe. Pls send when you can. Thanks!
You should really read this thread from the beginning to gather the mixing, marinating and preparation techniques.  Post #22 is where you can find the recipe.

Thanks,

Dean

Joined May 18, 2015
Dear Mr. Dean,

Plz send us your recipe, since i am also a lovely sakkio japan teriyaki, hopefully i  could make also at home , thank you in advance

Joined Jun 6, 2017
@Keitaro427 For President!!!!!! If you're ever in Jacksonville, Florida, I'd love to bring you on my TV series.

VIPSquadENT[at]gmail[dot]com

Thanks for your responses!

Joined Jan 15, 2016
Last edited:
Joined May 9, 2017
I wonder, is umami a secret ingredient in the original recipe?

I follow this chef on Facebook. She has a good recipe for Chinese BBQ chicken

http://www.recipetineats.com/chinese-chicken/

Marinade:
  • 2  garlic cloves  , minced
  • 2  tsp  brown sugar
  • 1 1/2  tbsp  honey
  • 1 1/2  tbsp  hoisin sauce
  • 2  tsp  oyster sauce
  • 1 ½  tbsp  light soy sauce  (or all purpose)
  • 1/2  tsp  Chinese five spice powder (Note 1)
  • 1/2  tsp  sesame oil  (not critical)
  • Few drops red food colouring  , optional

Last edited:
Joined Jun 26, 2017
1 pear puréed in the marinade. One zest of lemon and juice. This works well with larger cuts, but thin slicing do not marinade for more than 4 hours. You don't want ceviche.

Joined Mar 1, 2021
A very big thank you to K. Hitchens for the chicken teriyaki post near the beginning of this thread. I took meticulous notes from that post and formed it into general guidelines to prepare this fantastic dish. After three attempts I have achieved something very close to Sarku if not spot on. The marinade for the chicken to sit in overnight is fairly easy and it is surprising how much liquid the chicken will “drink”. It is the brown sauce that is much more difficult. My first attempt resulted in a very spicy sauce that was nothing like the Sarku sauce….although the aftertaste was familiar. The second attempt was just too sweet. In the pot it tasted fine but once it was added to the chicken, the sweetness factor really took off. On my third attempt everything combined to be nearly identical to the dish we buy at our local mall. My son (age 9) is a huge fan of Sarku’s chicken teriyaki so I used him and other family members to judge the results. Everyone agreed, nearly identical if not right on. If anyone is interested, please respond here and I’ll post the recipe I formulated and refined. Again, thank you very much K. Hitchens.

Dean
If you could please send me the recipe you came up with for the third attempt I would greatly appreciate it!

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Tap on their icon, you can see when they were last active, unless it was a number of software host changes ago.

Latest posts

Top Bottom