Sarku Japan: Chicken Teriyaki?

Joined Apr 21, 2010
Dean dear,

please please please share the recipe, i'm dying to try it!!!!! i live in oxford, england so i have not ever heard of the place you are talking about. everyone is raving about the yumminess of the teriyaki chicken so i would be ever so grateful to have it!!!!!!!! thanks lots!!!!!!!

Patricia

Joined Nov 19, 2010
[h3]Here's the step by step and ingredients:[/h3][h3]Ingredients:[/h3]
  • 3/4 pounds chicken breasts or thighs
  • 2 Tbsp sake (rice wine)
  • 4 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 4 Tbsp mirin (sweet rice wine)
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • *grated ginger
[h3]Preparation:[/h3]
Poke chicken using a fork. Mix other ingredients in a bowl. Marinate the chicken in the mixture for 15 minutes in the refrigerator. Heat some vegetable oil in a frying pan. First, fry the skin side of the chicken on medium heat until the skin is browned. Turn the chicken over to fry the other side on low heat. Pour the sauce used to marinate chicken in the pan. Cover the pan and steam cook the chicken on low heat until done. Remove the lid and simmer until the sauce becomes thick. Stop the heat. Slice the chicken and serve on a plate. Pour thickened sauce over the teriyaki chicken. Garnish with grated ginger if you would like.

you can find terriyaki in all japanese retaurant.

halal restaurants singapore

Last edited:
Joined Dec 11, 2010
Does anyone have a suggestion how I can construct my own flat griddle? The sarku booth in the mall uses a large flat griddle that I am assuming gets very hot. It must be gas.
Last year I purchased a sizzle-q which sits on top of an outdoor grill. The downside is it's small, and doesn't get that hot because it sits too high from the burners.
Some have suggested to place a large piece of stainless steel on the grill. The edges would need to be folded up an inch all around to keep in the grease. Still would need to get it close enough to the burners to reach 500deg
Alternatively, could I simply grill the chicken on my outdoor grill without the flat surface? And then once cooked, slice it up? Maybe it needs to be cooked in the marinade. Any advice would be appreciated

Paul

Joined Dec 11, 2010
So after searching, I found this contraption on Amazon -> 
The reviews suggest its best bang for the buck. Its a 36" portable Griddle that runs on propane and costs less than $300 with free delivery

Joined Dec 11, 2010
Can I freeze the brown sauce?

I just made the recipe and it came out fantastic. I made a little too much brown sauce and was wondering if I could freeze it.

Joined Mar 1, 2011
I tried Sargon's recipe and was pleasantly surprised. I don't have a mixer with dough hooks so I just took some chicken tenderloins threw them in the blender and pulse chopped it, until it looked like slop. Then I added the marinade pulse blended it again for 1-2 seconds and put it all in the freezer for 20 minutes. I didn't have time to wait 2-3 hours but even so the chicken was deliciously marinated. You could really taste the subtle flavors even without the brown sauce. I also used the minced ginger in the tube (Publix sells it near the veggies) but I only used a little over 1/2 a teaspoon. The results were perfect. Ate the terriyaki chicken with steamed cabbage, carrots, and onions over jasmine rice. Delicious. Thanks Sargon and the rest of you. 

Last edited:
Joined Mar 7, 2011
I have to say, I also joined the site to just say thank you to all of you, reading the comments from everyone helped me develop my own recipe for this great treasure. My wife and I eat Sarku every time we go to the mall, and I always watched wondering if I myself could recreate this masterpiece. With everything everyone has contributed I enjoy trying, as I type this I am working on my second attempt, and am this time going to attempt my own fried rice instead of Rice in a box...lol. I know about the day old rice, but am having a hard time deciphering if fish sauce or oyster sauce is the key to authentic asian, everything I read is 50/50 fish or oyster. I am giving a go with Jasmine rice and fish sauce. One of the kids walked in when I got back from the store and turned his nose up at the fish sauce, it does stink. But anyway got off track, thank you all, and hopefully my second attempt is just a little better than the first (everyone liked the first, so the second should be great)

Joined Mar 7, 2011
I have to say, I also joined the site to just say thank you to all of you, reading the comments from everyone helped me develop my own recipe for this great treasure. My wife and I eat Sarku every time we go to the mall, and I always watched wondering if I myself could recreate this masterpiece. With everything everyone has contributed I enjoy trying, as I type this I am working on my second attempt, and am this time going to attempt my own fried rice instead of Rice in a box...lol. I know about the day old rice, but am having a hard time deciphering if fish sauce or oyster sauce is the key to authentic asian, everything I read is 50/50 fish or oyster. I am giving a go with Jasmine rice and fish sauce. One of the kids walked in when I got back from the store and turned his nose up at the fish sauce, it does stink. But anyway got off track, thank you all, and hopefully my second attempt is just a little better than the first (everyone liked the first, so the second should be great)

Joined Apr 13, 2011
I tried the whole shebang the other day- The taste was dead on, but the consistency of my brown sauce was WAY off.. I didnt know how much cornstarch slurry to add and it ended up turning out like jello after it cooled. Next time I'll add only a very little amount.  Also I substituted a cooking red wine for the cooking sherry with good results. Thanks to everyone who posted the recipes and directions for this!

Joined May 11, 2011
i really like that you helping people who cooking at home.but can you give me some advice or suggestions about opening a business like sarku japan express.they asking just for franchise fee $30.000.00 and person like with the limited funds can not afford $200.000.00 for 300.000.00.i want to open my own chicken teriyaki express.

Joined Apr 3, 2010
My suggestion is get a lot of food business knowlege before putting mony down. Or get a partner who knows food business.

Joined Jul 12, 2011
Sargon,

Thank you very much for posting this recipe. When you talk about the Brown Sauce, does 3/4 C + 2 T Kikkoman Teriyaki Sauce mean 3/4 of a Cup + 2 Tablespoons of Kikkoman Teriyaki Sauce?

tBrown Sauce:
2 1/2 C Unsalted Chicken Stock (I used Kitechen Basics)
3/4 C + 2 T Kikkoman Teriyaki Sauce
1/4 C + 2 T Kikkoman Low Sodium Soy Sauce
1 Clove Garlic
1 Thin Slice Ginger Root
3/4 C + 2 T Brown Sugar

Any help is appreciated...

Joined Aug 7, 2011
First off I would love to thank Keitaro427 for his recipes. My family and I enjoy them very much. But I have personally ran into two problems, trying to recreate the "BBQ" sauce used by Sarku Japan. My attempts have been closer to the darker version used about 7 years ago by my local Sarku Japan. I don't understand why the current version of their BBQ looks like well applesauce. If someone could explain this, it would be greatly appreciated. And lastly, I love the fried rice but every recipe out there i have tried ends up with it being overpowered by flavors that do not belong to the rice alone, any tips on how to come close to their fried rice?
I feel obligated to say to you all now, I am a terrible chef.

Top Bottom