santa fe restaurants

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by jbuder, Sep 17, 2002.

1. jbuder

jbuder

because you folk have been SO HELPFUL for my previous travels, i thought i would solicit restaurant suggestions for santa fe. am going for a conference and have never been before. i want to make each meal count! any suggestions? (open to recommendations for albuquerque too.)

thanks!:p

2. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I had the priviledge of working in one of the finest restaurants in the city. Julian's on Shelby St (off Alameda) is probably one of the experiences that made my cooking my career. The owner, Wayne Gustafson, is insanely passionate about his food and the whole experience; the decor alone is worth the visit. (www.juliansofsantafe.com)
    The normal toursity places are there, as well. Inn of the Anasazi, (on the plaza) boasted some great food as did the acclaimed Pink Adobe and the Bull Ring. Cafe Escalera (if it is still there) was a pricy nouvelle place that twisted some southwestern with French. The choice gathering place for the restaurant crew was Pranzo's (also just off the plaza). The best Lamb Osso Bucco anywhere! For cheap eats, try Harry's Road House. It has excellent roadside food with superb home baked desserts. I believe it is out on Route 51, just outside of town, by the Steaksmith at El Goncho. And don't forget, Mark Miller's Coyote Cafe is right on Water St on the plaza, as well. It is pretty touristy, but you have to give the guy credit.
    It has been 8 years since I lived there, so hopefilly everything I mentioned is still there. Be sure to stop back and tell us what you liked.

3. jbuder

jbuder

thanks, jim! sound like great suggestions. julian's looks yummy! that's a clear go!

i'll definitely give an update when i return...
    j

4. chefclaycollins

chefclaycollins

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm headed to Sante Fe tomorrow and am interested in what you found. Anything worth checking out? Anything worth missing? I am going there to check out a restaurant called Il Vicino, did you see that while you were there? Should be a fun trip anyways, I hope yours, was!

5. jbuder

jbuder

aghh! sorry i did not get on in time to reply before your visit to santa fe. i had a wonderful time there and some great meals. jim, i went to julian's and that was terrific. other great meals were at geronimo's and the anasazi restaurant (at the hotel). had lunch at coyote cafe and that was good, but a fairly simple salad so i couldn't really evaluate the food. i just decided i had to check out the place! i don't think cafe escalera is still there. at least i could not find it listed. all in all, my workshop was great and the food terrific.

6. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Good to hear!! Do you recall any of the menus from the places you visited, especially Julians? Just curious!