Santa Barbra Seafood

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by toddlove8845, Oct 12, 2005.

1. toddlove8845

toddlove8845

Do they anything equivalent to Santa Barbra shrimp or sea urchin on the east coast? Im talking about live local product , well like in Santa Barbra?

2. dano1

dano1

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    is this a vendor?

3. toddlove8845

toddlove8845

Its a type of sweet shrimp like you would get at a sushi bar. I was just curious if they were popular east coast chefs or if they use something that was an equivalent. Typicaly there at least double the size of those imported from Japan. Ive been seeing more and more restaurants using them for cooking instead of being eaten raw.

4. fatchef

fatchef

The California Central Coast is well known, (at least in the U.S.), for Sea Urchin, Sea Cucumbers, Spiny Lobster and White Seabass. I spoke with my sous chef a few days back about local Sea Urchin ironically enough. Most of the Urchin and Cucumbers that are harvested in this area are sent to Japan. I can't say for sure, but my guess would be that the quality is available on the East Coast for a higher price. The less labor intensive and lower quality Sea Urchin is also available, ready to use from most reputable seafood purveyors. The salt content and temp. difference between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans also impacts the fisherman's choice of target and therefore the difference in availability of fresh product on each coast.