Sanitation ?

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by anthony lunghi, Aug 29, 2012.

  1. anthony lunghi

    anthony lunghi

    Likes Received:
    Home Chef
    I am just starting baking and have read alot and have taken some baking courses. I 'd like to start my own baking business. And would like to know sanitation issues that i should know before i start baking at home. I know obvious aspects like to wear a bakers hat apron, don't touch your apron while baking, cleaning as you go, keeping your dairy products refrigerated. What are the other santitation issues i should know about ?
  2. flipflopgirl


    Likes Received:
    Retired Hospitality
    You did not mention where you are located so i just will leave you with a few tips.

    Here is a link to more info about food sanitation..

    A couple of questions...

    Does your State (or country) allow you to bake and sell food from home?

    For example, Texas has a Cottage Food Law that gives us the right to sell certain low risk products from home as long as the producer follows safe kitchen practices., no Health Department visits unless they get a lot of complaints.

    I would highly recommend you set up as a LLC, as if someone gets sick and decides to sue, you could lose your home, get the idea, right?

    Speaking of lawsuits, you will need to contact your ins agent and speak to him about your new venture. He can steer you in the right direction and will recommend the amt of coverage you will need.

    Check with your local zoning board and ask if your location is ok for high traffic commercial/ business use.

    Totally ignore the above if you are all set.

    Congrats on your new venture...hope u make a million!
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  3. everydaygourmet


    Likes Received:
    Hey A.L.,

    First welcome to CT!, FFG has a great suggestion research your local cottage laws.

    Best piece of advice would be to source a VFW, Eagles, American Legion or church, all that I've seen have commercial kitchens and are usually pretty receptive to small fees or trade offs in lieu of a rental. If none in your area source a catering company or commercial kitchen rentals, most will rent by the day or even the hour. the latter suggestions will cost you more. 

    Nice thing about the commercial kitchen's are usually, they will have some if not all of the commercial grade equipment including mixers and ovens more production + less time = greater profits AND since all are NFP, they are always trying to raise funds so they may become a customer as well.


  4. petemccracken


    Likes Received:
    Professional Chef
    I would definitely sign up for ServSafe, NRFSP, or the equivalent Food Safety Manager's Certification, generally an 8 hour class and exam, probably cost around $150-$200, maybe less, even check with culinary school(s) in your vicinity. You will learn all you need to know about sanitation and safe food handling. Here's a link to the NRFSP site:

    DO NOT TAKE THE FOOD HANDLERS CLASS! That is a simplified class, primarily for food servers.

    TTBOMK, every kitchen MUST have a certified Food Safety Manager ON SITE while food is being prepared.

    Though there may not be health code problems with non-profit kitchens, check carefully, you may be creating an IRS problem for the non-profit with kitchen rental as that is considered "business income" and can endanger their NP status. This goes for churches, fraternal organizations, and other NPs as well. Been there, done that!
    steelybob likes this.
  5. steelybob


    Likes Received:
    i'm biased with a servsafe cert myself, but i agree, there is a marked difference between those servsafe certed and those not in my limited experience. it's not hard, it just focuses in on some key aspects that form a great foundation for working intelligently around sanitation in general.

    you'll notice most national corporations  require and proudly sport their manager's servsafe certificates on their walls for a reason.