Sandwich bread

Joined May 31, 2003
Hi gang, can someone give me a few pointers on making sandwich bread. First off, which is better, teflon pans or aluminum pans coated with shortening and flour. Also is there a trick in sealing the ends after you tuck them under the loaf? 75% of the time the seam is visible. I'm not trying to make bread like you see in the store, just good tasty, attractive bread that i can sell to my customers.

thanks,
dino

Joined Aug 14, 2000
Pans arfe a matter of personal preferrence. I use non-stick pans from Chicago Metalic. I still spray them before loading the shaped loaves.

As to sealing you loaves, it is the final act of the shaping proccess. If you have not been careful during the shaping, no sealing technique will keep you loaf from misbehaving in the oven. Get you dough into as even a rectangle as possible, say 6 X 8 for a 8 X 4 pan. THen you can either fold it in thirds, like a business letter, or roll it. If you roll it, make sure that you do it evenly and try to ensure that it is rolled tightly, with no air pockets between layers. Even, tight rolling, or uniform folding, Should lead to a seam that is straight, and parallel to the front of your board. To seal the seam, use then "butt" of your hand. Check to see that the butt of you hand is parallel to the seam. You will probably have to cock you hand slitghtly to get the line straight. Wiht the heal of you hand, starting at one end of the seam, push straight down on the seam using real pressure and repeat the process across the length of the seam. When you're finished, make sure that the seam is still straight. Turn the loaf over and plop it in the pan!

It's hard to fool dough. If you try to align the seam after the deed is done, the loaf will wait until you're not looking, after it has been put in the pan, and go back to where it wanted to be! All of this gets easier and more natural with practice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom