San Diego, California

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by vera bradley, Mar 16, 2006.

1. vera bradley

vera bradley

Exp:
    Other
    I'm off to San Diego for a few days later this month. :)

Any restaurant recommendations for me? Which ones are overrated and which ones absolutely should not be missed? Also, if you know of a good hotel convenient to both Point Loma and downtown San Diego (hopefully with decent breakfasts available onsite, not just pastries and coffee), I'd appreciate hearing about that, too.

2. chef_oz

chef_oz

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  3. vera bradley

vera bradley

Exp:
    Other
    Thank you, Chef Oz.

I ended up dining mostly in the Gaslamp Quarter where I stayed.

I tried Soliel at K (breakfast there every morning), Tin Fish and Osetra in the Gaslamp Quarter - all within walking distance of where I stayed.

I had a delicious and very pretty lobster salad at pricey new Osetra on 5th. The three-story frosted glass wine tower was the focal point of the dining room and their "wine angels" were entertaining, but men might appreciate them more than I did.

I enjoyed Acapulco's in Old Town as well. I recommend their Sunday Mexican brunch and their grouper taco dinner.

The best fish tacos in town were the grilled halibut tacos I tried at a small, casual place called the Tin Fish. There you may dine al fresco by the trolley line at the outer edges of Gasplamp Quarter near Petco Park.

Buon Appetito in the Little Italy section of San Diego had good reviews posted at a travel website so I made the effort to find it and it was well worth the trouble to find parking. If you haven't tried it yet, you must! Their marinara sauce was the best I've ever tasted. I tried the meat lasagna after reading raves, but next time I'd just get some of that marinara on capellini. They serve very good salads and bread as well.