Sambal Olek......forget about Sri Racha

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I like them both. Sambal Olek kicks harder and is less sweet. But I find it less at the table condiment and more cooking seasoning for my tastes and heat tolerance.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
They both have their place(s), but for the everyday hot sauce my go to is Chilula Garlic. I'll add some SamBall into what I'm cooking if it calls for a little heat. It's also a great sub in a Bloody Mary if you don't have Tabasco on hand.

Joined Aug 4, 2000
They both have their place(s), but for the everyday hot sauce my go to is Chilula Garlic. I'll add some SamBall into what I'm cooking if it calls for a little heat. It's also a great sub in a Bloody Mary if you don't have Tabasco on hand.
I like that recommendation, Bloody Mary.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I grew up on sambal ;)
Just wantbto check if what you are talking about is the same as sambal ulek (or oelek)?
If so, it is the base of multiple different sambals ;)

Joined Aug 4, 2000
I grew up on sambal ;)
Just wantbto check if what you are talking about is the same as sambal ulek (or oelek)?
If so, it is the base of multiple different sambals ;)
Likeky it's the same product but different spelling

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I grew up in a Northern African family and we always had Sambal Oelek as a side condiment to couscous. Our family was from Morocco, so they'd never used Harissa as a spicy sauce. So that was it. To this day, it is my go to spicy sauce even though I have discovered many other ones since.

Joined Aug 4, 2000
I grew up in a Northern African family and we always had Sambal Oelek as a side condiment to couscous. Our family was from Morocco, so they'd never used Harissa as a spicy sauce. So that was it. To this day, it is my go to spicy sauce even though I have discovered many other ones since.
When I attended the Sorbonne in '73-4, I spent Mechoui/Aid El Fet in Algiers. Delicioso mouton, merguez + Fanta Orange...... et les brochettes-----all served with Harissa. Mmmmm mmmmm None better!

(EDIT) I resided with a Moslem family in Algiers. We drank whiskey and watched Mod Squad on tv. And then I took a short trip to Ghardiah and Ben Iz Guen and Ouargla.

Last edited:
Joined May 28, 2015
Our family was from Morocco, so they'd never used Harissa as a spicy sauce.

Confused... I thought harissa was a sauce common in Morocco - also Algeria and Tunisia?

Sambal Oelek is an Indonesian sauce. It contains rice wine vinegar I think, which is an Eastern ingredient. Its a lovely sauce. A little sweet for my taste though.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Confused... I thought harissa was a sauce common in Morocco - also Algeria and Tunisia?

Sambal Oelek is an Indonesian sauce. It contains rice wine vinegar I think, which is an Eastern ingredient. Its a lovely sauce. A little sweet for my taste though.
Sambal oelek should not contain sugar. Sambal manis does.
Oelek is just pounded chili with salt. So
I think it has changed somewhere from its original shape
Unless maybe sambal ulek makassar is abbreviated?
Check them both on this page ;). Avery good source for Indonesian recipes anyway.

kokopuffs kokopuffs Could you give me the ingredients on the label?

Joined Sep 5, 2008

I was born in France so I've never been to Morocco myself. And I stand corrected, it wasn't Sambal Oelek on the table when my grand-mother made couscous, it was Tuong Ot, or at least some industrial Suzi Wan version of Tuong Ot. That doesn't take us closer to Morocco I suppose, but that's what they were serving along with couscous so that's what I grew up with.

Later when looking in markets in the U.S. and even sometimes in France for Tuong Ot, all I found was Sambal Oelek, or at least some industrial version of it. It was pretty much the same! So that's what I started using.

I discovered Harissa only later when going to Tunisian restaurants, but it was never used at home, so I just assumed it was more of a Tunisian thing?

I'll have to ask my dad what chili sauce they used to serve when he was younger in Morroco.

As for Sambal Oelek, the one I use contains chili paste, salt, and acidic regulators. It does not taste sweet at all.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
So I asked my dad. While he lived in Morocco, he had heard of Harissa, or seen it, but his family would never buy it or use it. In fact they had no chili sauce served with couscous. The traditional condiment was a "salad" made of reduced (almost confit) red bell peppers, chili, tomatoes and garlic, a pinch of sugar, served cold. It's absolutely delicious, I make it on a regular basis, and the contrast of the cold condiment with the hot couscous, meat, veggies and hot broth is fantastic. However it's barely spicy. Most of the time I don't put any chili in it, and serve Sambal Oelek or Tuong Ot on the side.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I first bought sambal oelek as a subsitute for Chinese Chile Garlic paste. They're similar.

Joined Jan 9, 2019
My fave is the sweet Sambal Badjak, Koningsvogel brand. (I don't care for the Conimex).
On nasi goreng, of course! :) Drool..

Thx for the recipe links Butzy! May have to make it myself, as it's getting more difficult to find.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Ah, yes ;)
Nasi goreng, fried egg, cucumber & some sambal.
Think I know what I am going to eat tonight.
And I prefer koningsvogel as well, but mostly I make my own

Joined Aug 4, 2000
..........................I discovered Harissa only later when going to Tunisian restaurants, but it was never used at home, so I just assumed it was more of a Tunisian thing?...............
Both in France and Algeria I was always served harissa with couscous. Never was I ever served any kind of Sambal.

Joined May 28, 2015
Both in France and Algeria I was always served harissa with couscous. Never was I ever served any kind of Sambal.

Yeah - I've eaten couscous many times in France and it was always served with harissa. It may be that in Morocco and neighbouring countries there are regional differences though.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Yeah - I've eaten couscous many times in France and it was always served with harissa.
Me too. I grew up in France (and I live in France now) and going to restaurants, couscous was (and is) always served with harissa.

Same here: in restaurants, at least in France (I have never been to Algeria): couscous is always served with harissa.

Last edited:
Top Bottom