Salvaging a not so good product and turning it into a great dish.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I bought three slabs of cooked BBQ ribs for Super Bowl @ $4.99/24oz. package. Well known national brand and we had one a couple of weeks ago and they were not good. Didn't taste horrible, but even according to package instructions they were tough, had the membrane attached and the sauce was overly sweet. This left me with two more packages. We had a busy day so I had the idea to open one, rinse off the sauce, remove the membrane, separate and cook them in an artisan garlic/dill sauerkraut with onions cooked in lardon drippings. The first package (and these are so called "baby back" ribs) bones were so big there was very little meat so I opened the second one, rinsed and separated. Then cooked some bacon in a dutch oven and sauteed a sliced onion in the drippings then added the sauerkraut and ribs then into a 300F oven for three hrs.

The result? The bones pulled out, the pork retained some residual sweetness from the removed sauce and the whole dish was delicious. SAVE!!!

Sometimes you can make a silk purse from a sow's ear. Anyone else save an otherwise bad investment?

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Yep,
First one to come to mind were tough rump steaks. Obviously they easily got turned into a curry or a stew.
I'm sure there are plenty others, just can't think of them straight away

Joined Oct 9, 2008
It's not quite the same thing, but a friend of mine many years ago tried to start a catering business in Cambridge, MA. Back then (1970s), Julia Child still lived there, and everyone in the universe hadn't gone mad for fake gourmet nonsense. My friend spotted Julia in a grocery store and braced her, told her about the business. Julia said she was delighted to see a young woman going into the profession, and to be sure to call her if she got stuck.

OK.

So a few months later, my friend is doing a gig for a whole bunch of corporate people, basically all by herself (she wasn't really great on the management side of things), and she scorched the bottom of her pot of borscht. Scorched like burnt. She's in tears -- great opportunity down the drain, WTF is she going to do, etc. She remembers that conversation and calls Julia Child at home. Tears rolling down her cheeks, she explains the situation, and begs for advice.

Julia says, "Tell them it's smoked borscht."

Now there's your sow's ear into a silk purse!

Top Bottom