Salutations and Felicitations!

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by thepieguy, Jan 21, 2010.

1. thepieguy

thepieguy

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Just checking out the Forum. I am an amateur, though very enthusiastic baker of pies, looking to learn from the pros and pick up tips. Maybe I'll have a few of my own to share. I, personally, bake about 30 or 40 pies a year, and I'm always looking for ways to hone my skills.

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Welcome to ChefTalk, PieGuy. You'll be glad you joined for a lot of reasons. First, you can talk with other home bakers to share and learn. Second, you can read what the professionals have to say about baking. Third, you can use our search tool to browse the older discussion threads. Finally, you can take a look at what other bakers are doing by checking out our photo gallery. Don't forget the Cooking Articles, too!

I know for certain there have been discussions over the year about pie crusts. Everyone will want to hear what you have to say about them! What would you say is your favorite pie to eat? To make?

I hope you enjoy being part of this wonderful online community.
    Welcome!
    Mezzaluna

3. thepieguy

thepieguy

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Thanks for the prompt and warm welcome, Mezzaluna! I've just started checking out the posts, and this seems like a good place for me.

I know for certain there have been discussions over the year about pie crusts. Everyone will want to hear what you have to say about them! What would you say is your favorite pie to eat? To make?

I'm a big proponent of less is more, with respect to pies. And my favorites seem to change weekly. A very basic sweet cherry pie, like the one pictured in my avatar, might be my favorite at the moment, but I love almost every fruit pie, and a coconut crunch topping sets off a cherry pie nicely, too.

I'm curious about what others might say about pie crusts, as well. I'm always trying to make my basic pie crust a bit flakier, and adding cake flour and a higher ratio of Crisco to butter seems to help a bit. I'd love to get some ideas from experienced bakers regarding how to firm up my other crusts - the graham cracker and chocolate crumb ones that I make crumble more than I'd like when sliced.

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    The Pastries and Baking General Forum is the place for you! Home cooks (like you and I) are free to read in the professionals' forums, but they're "read only" for us. The professionals read there, too, so you'll get a good audience of home bakers and professionals.

Go for it!
    Mezz