Salsa help

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by leggsmi, Sep 11, 2010.

1. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have to totally disagree, maybe if you are talking grocery store purchased tomatoes, this might hold true somewhat, but in general I don't think you can apply this type of thinking to tomatoes.  My grandfather always grew giant beefsteak tomatoes and they were always very flavorful.  I have also grown many varieties of tomatoes, some of them which grown quite large and they all were very flavorful.  In fact, sometimes the larger ones were much more flavorful than the smaller ones.  I just don't see any way you can equate the size of the tomato with its flavor.

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I can because I don't like beefsteak.  I know lots of people like them but I generally don't like tomatoes and tend to go for the smaller ones when I eat them.  I also can because I had a grandfather who spent his whole life farming and this is what he taught me.  Shrug /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lookaround.gif

3. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
     A Pico De Gallo is more fresh chopped veggies, seasoned to be combined with other items such as a Fish taco. IMHO the Pico has less flavor than a salsa, each has it's place, it's just knowing what place that may be. The Chips and Salsa you get in in Mexico are a Pico De Gallo, I don't think I[​IMG] have ever seen a salsa like I make in Mexico. I made this one a few days ago, this is whats left from a large container. The picture shows it to be a bit more liquidity then I make it, but you will get the idea. I like the salsa having liquid from the tomatoes, I feel the salsa accepts the seasoning much better and just gets better as the days go by. I like to have the consistency be like how it looks as I am scooping up on the corn chip.................Chef BillyB

4. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    Just a hint on the tomato front..... please do NOT refrigerate them.  If you can, leave them on a window sill that catches the sun (this is pretty much for home cooks).  Once they a really dark red and starting to go a little soft, the flavour is the best, for me,  During the winter here the only ones with any flavour at all are the cherry tomatoes.  But when summer comes - yes! they are all pretty good, especially the Roma variety.

Note to self - till the vegie plot to plant some tomatoes, also beans, cukes, zukes,  herbs etc

5. bhtoad

bhtoad

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'm with Chris.  Nice simple fresh salsa with a short ingredient list.  Nothing out of a can or box except the salt.  I prefer some heat in mine, so serrano and habanero usually make it into my recipe.

6 rough diced ripe tomatoes

1/4-1/3 cup finely diced red onion

1/4-1/3 cup roughly chopped cilantro

hot chiles to taste

pinch of salt, sea or kosher

pinch of black pepper

I've added lime juice and fresh diced mango to top a cedar plank grilled salmon with good results.

Never added sugar to my salsa, but there is a popular Mexican restaurant in Chris's home town that adds shredded carrot to sweeten their salsa.  Adds a nice texture, too.

Not sure how to deal with the salt restriction.  Not personally a fan of commercial salt substitutes.  I'd think an acid like citrus or vinegar would brighten the flavor.  I'll give some lime zest a try the next time I make some.

If you use habanero peppers, I recommend taming the heat with iced fire extinguishers.  They come in nice brown bottles in a handy 12oz size.