salad dressing

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by chefherman, Sep 29, 2003.

1. chefherman

chefherman

i want to use shedded cabbage as a salad course, what is the definition of coleslaw? is there a butt kick'n dressing out there for cabbage that is not warm with bacon and dijon?? warm is alright,but....
    thank you for the help!!!!

2. foodbridge

foodbridge

Cole slaw comes from the Dutch word kooolsla, meaning "cool cabbage. Shredded red or white cabbage mixed with mayonnaise and/or vinaigrette.
    Other typical ingredients include minced onion, chopped celery, sweet bell peppers, apple, pickles, and crisp bacon.
    There are as many variations as there are cooks.
    My advise is to mix/store the dressing, herbs, and seasonings seperatey.
    Combine the prepped cabbage vegetable/fruit with the dressing moments before serving to avoid weeping/bleeding.
    I would also use the bacon as a garnish when serving a large party for those who do not appreciate the splendors of crispy bacon.
    You can use a hollowed out fruit or vegetable, cut in half, leveled on the bottom, that reflects the ingredients you choose to plate the slaw, for a fancy touch.:)

3. tigerwoman

tigerwoman

Try an Asian inspired version with sweet chili jam, fresh lime juice chopped cilantro and peanuts.

4. pongi

pongi

My favourite seasoning for shredded white cabbage is a vinaigrette generously flavoured with anchovy paste. Make an emulsion with all the ingredients, season the cabbage and keep it aside for 30 mins to amalgamate flavours. :lips:

Pongi