Sage!

Joined Oct 9, 2008
So I have what an old student of mine would call a cubic s**t-ton of sage. The damn thing is a bush, and every year it gets bigger.

Apart from putting some in stuffing for poultry, or making a butter-sage sauce for gnocchi, what on earth can I do with the stuff?

Joined Apr 25, 2017
Make breakfast sausage, I love sage sausage. You can make patty style if you don't want to stuff it.

I saw Jacque and Julia wrap a sausage log in bread dough and bake it on one of their jpint episodes. I think about trying that from time to time. Maybe buns.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Once you have a sage bush, you normally end up with much more sage than you can handle.

I have a sage marinade I use for porc (roasts, ribs, chops... anything you can grill or roast). In a blender:
• Sage leaves
• Garlic
• Dijon mustard
• Olive oil
• Soy sauce
• Red chili sauce
• S & P

Careful with salt, there's already soy sauce; however I do like using both together.

Another delicious use for sage is inside meatballs!
• 1/2 ground pork
• 1/2 ground beef
• breadcrumbs soaked in milk
• grated parmesan
• lightly caramelized minced shallots and garlic
• lemon zest
• finely chopped sage
• S & P

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
When I bought my house, there was a sage bush, 4 feet across. It's been up to about 7 feet lately but had some strong die-back this year. Plenty of new starts to work from if this one gives up.

Brianshaw, that ritual sage is usually Artemisia not Salvia, at least among the indigenous cultures of my state. You can buy dried bundles ready for smudging along with sweet grass and other interesting aromatic bundles. I have some of each growing in my yard. As far as I'm concerned, artemisia is only decorative and aromatic. I'm not brewing absinthe.

On weekends, there's a good Navajo Taco stand in the parking lot.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Don't knock it - I have a bay laurel bush a friend of mine gave me like 10yrs. ago. We put it out in the Summer and bring it in in the Winter. There is nothing like fresh bay leaves . . .

We also have a lot of thyme so I'll be drying a bunch of that for Winter use. Trying to dig it up would be a futile effort.

Joined Nov 15, 2012
It is great for quick-smoking. When the dish is done throw a bunch of branches over, light up with a torch and cover. flavor your sushi and sashimi like that. Sage has a very strong flavor, I use the teensiest amounts. Like a dozen tiny leaves will flavor a serving of shrimp (gives a nice exotic flavor there). Don't overuse it for the sake of use. At seasons end burn the s..t ton that's left and enjoy the smoke. even just for inhaling. Buy one of those half-ounce plastic packs of fresh at the market and keep it in the freezer, if you're like me it will last all winter, and then some.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Mine stays pretty usable through the winter doesn't really lost its leaves

Joined Oct 9, 2008
Nice idea about the smoking, rick alan rick alan ; hadn't thought of that.

phatch phatch : yup, we have sage right through the winter here in Massachusetts... and not a lot to use it for. (Though now I have some great new ideas!)

Latest posts

Top Bottom