Safe to eat Frozen, 1.5 year old, Ground Bison (Vacuum sealed from costco)

Joined Apr 23, 2020
Title says it all - my understanding is, perhaps not ideally fresh, but is it SAFE to eat?

My freezer stays between around -10F to 0 F pretty consistently, but of course there's some normal fluctuation.

Joined Oct 5, 2019
Title says it all - my understanding is, perhaps not ideally fresh, but is it SAFE to eat?

My freezer stays between around -10F to 0 F pretty consistently, but of course there's some normal fluctuation.
Freezer temperatures prevent microbial growth. I think the coldest that any microbe will grow is minus 15 Celsius or plus 5 Fahrenheit. If it was safe to eat when you put it in the freezer, it should still be safe now.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
You should be fine. Thaw it out and smell it. If it passes the smell test, cook it up and make sure that you sustain it at 165'f for a few minutes. If it smells funky in any way, toss it. But, if you decide to cook it, make sure that you bring it up to an internal temp of 165'f and hold it there for at least 2 minutes.

You should be fine.

Joined Apr 23, 2020
Thanks all.

Regarding the 165 F, scientifically, I don't see why that should matter any more than any other day? If microbial growth is impossible below 5F and assuming it's been properly stored sub zero, it shouldn't be any different than fresh off the grocery shelf, correct?

Joined Mar 1, 2017
But for your assumption, you would be correct. :)

Its wise to get into the habit of never assuming food has been stored a particular way if you cannot account for every moment of its storage, especially when it comes to proteins. Chances are the meat is ok. Cooking it to 165"f guarantees it.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Top Bottom