sad

Joined Jun 9, 2001
as i my stupid alarm clock went off at 6:30am this morning, telling me that i need to get my butt up and work out, i didnt hesatate to turn it off. then at 8am, the alarm sounded again and i threw the thing clear aross the room. at 9:30am, i decided to actually get up and go to the gym. as i walked into the recreation center, i saw all these people. i asked what was going on and they said it was graduation. every friday of the third week, there is a new graduation and the following monday new students come in. thats a big turn over.

so i showered and i was thinking how sad gradation really is. i remember my high school graduation and it was sad. i had to say good bye to a lot of people. here at the CIA, it is diffrent. you might be good friends with a few people and then in a blink of your eye, they are either gone on externship or graduated. how depressing is that. i have one really good friend here.... her name is katy. she is aspiring to be a pastry chef (she helps me out on a lot of things). she is my best friends. she is graduating in 9 weeks.... i will be certainly depressed and sad. i hate saying good bye to people.... specially great friends.

so here isaac is..... still have a little less then three years left of school. sometimes i wonder if it is really worth getting my bachlors degree. i know in my heart it is totally worth it but it really saddens me to see people go and leave.

i hate being so far away from my family and the security home brings.

Joined Mar 6, 2001
Yes, it's hard to be away from whats familar to you and to see people move on from you. But your on a great adventure into your future! You'll look back at these days and all the people you've met as some of the best days of your life, really.

You never really say good bye to friends. You may live far apart but they're always your freinds. Make as many as you can. The world seems big right now but as you grow older you'll discover that it's smaller than you realized. One day (it might be twenty years from now) you'll be walking down the street and spot someone from school, talk to them and discover they've been living a couple miles from you, for years.

Your on a great adventure, enjoy it! ;)

Joined Aug 4, 2000
This isn't the end. Consider the experience as another chapter of your life. You have many more chapters to go. Just take only one at a time. ;) ;)

Joined Sep 13, 2000
Don't give up. Graduating from college is *so* worth it. I am so glad I have my degree. I had friends come and go, but I keep in contact with some of them still. I met my husband at college -- I feel fortunate that we were at the same place at the same time! You have many more experiences and relationships ahead. Enjoy them!!

Joined Jun 9, 2001
when i started working in restaraunts, my life changed so much. i had less time and i was working crazy hours.....every week.. all week long. i remember setting up a date with the wonderful girl i met and told her to come by the restaraunt at about 8pm. my chef said that he would take over at 7:30pm so i could change and get ready and havea nice date. then my chef decided to slip out the back door. my date had to wait until close time and then we ate dinner as the wait staff was vacuming.

dont get me wrong, i love what i do with all my heart but sometimes it is just hard realizing that the people you work with are your real family.

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Saying good bye is a part of life Isaac, we may not like it but such is life. You will keep in touch with the friends you made I am sure. For each friend who leaves, a new student will arrive and I am sure you will make new friends with many of them.

Joined Mar 6, 2001
Sorry Issac you got that wrong. One day you'll wake-up and realize that your co-workers are just your co-workers and you need to have your own real family. Co-workers come and go, and some will anger you and hurt you along the way, just as freinds do but there is a huge difference.

Your family is WAY different and you MUST realize this to find happiness in this work. The people who let work be everything to them get swallowed up and burned out. Acheiving noteriety in this field comes at a great personal price! Deside now if your willing to pay that toll.

If not, if you want a life in addition to work start NOW making that life. Don't work too many hours that you don't have time to develop that relationship with the cute girl. She won't wait, she'll find someone else.

;)

Joined May 29, 1999
issac,
i graduated a long time ago and still keep in touch with my friends from j&w. they are all over the world and i value their friendships.
where would we be without experiences?
:cool:

Joined Oct 27, 1999
Isaac,
Though it's is sad to see friends leave, you don't have to lose all contact, especially with the convenience of e-mail. Yes, there will inevitably be attrition, but there will also be some who stay in touch through multiple address changes. Try to keep in contact with those you care about -- don't give up on people when they don't reply -- and always continue to stay curious and make new friends. The knowledge, acquired skills, and credentials of getting a degree are really, really worth it. People who quit before graduating are often heard to say they wish they had finished, but I have never heard anyone say they wish they didn't have their degree.

Joined Jun 30, 2001
Isaac,

I'm a student at CIA presently and I know what you mean about graduation day. But the truth is, soon you'll be there yourself! I graduate this fall and I CAN NOT believe how fast the time goes. And...there is a "network" amongst foodies - casual and professinal alike that is amazing!!!!! We do keep in touch and we do call upon one another.

But, I would like to ask you why you are taking the Bachelor's at the CIA. I originally signed up for it, but the truth is, I could get those last 2 years at the local community college (same classes) for a fraction of the expense. AND they do not except most of my previous credits - a local college would. Anyway, this is an important decision. Maybe YOU have lots of money - I don't and I've given all to the school that I'm going to.

Joined Jun 9, 2001
bakingpw

good question.... why do i pick the cia for my bps. first off, i dont have much money. i am paying off my other culinary school and now this school. i am poor poor but i work my butt of working for other chefs to support my habbits in LD phone calls, books, and equipment.

alot of people say that the bps program here ***** . some love it. this biggest reason i picked the cia for my BPS degree is becasue you are ALWAYS around food. ALWAYS. if i want to butcher fish one morning, i can di it. if i want to hang out in the store room, i can do that. if i want to hang out and work with sugar or chocolate, i can do that. i have the biggest video library and video library right here on campus (i live in hudson hall.... VERY close). i am gathering tons of connections with other chefs so i can just come in and help out or sit in on CE classes without having to actually work with them. i am now take part in the saturday baking bread for the restaraunts. there is so much here that a regualar college doesnt offer. of course, there are the disads like... well,,,, hyde park for example. but thats ok. anyway, i think that this is worth the extra money.

feel free to email me at [email protected]

best of luck in your classes.

Top Bottom