SACO real cultured Buttermilk Blend

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by dagger, Aug 19, 2005.

1. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Anyone ever use this cause i hear it's very good. Also heard that King Aurther Flour is the best all-perpose flour :chef:

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I keep some tubs of it around as I don't usually have buttermilk on hand. I've been happy with it. 'Souring' milk with some lemon juice/vinegar is pretty close to it too for many purposes.

I've never used King Arthur flour, though I was looking at the KA cookbook in the bookstore the other day. Pretty tempting.

Phil

3. liv4fud

liv4fud

curious - as one of the ways to make Indian cheese (paneer- you might have heard of - as in saag-paneer) is to add lemon juice or vinegar to scalding milk and then separating the curds and whey.

doesn't that happen in your cases?

4. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    It does curdle the milk a bit, but buttermilk is a bit curdled from the bacterial culture's action. But when you add it to the other ingredients, the curdling tends to get disrupted before completion.

Phil

5. bigbuns

bigbuns

I have several recipes that call for buttermilk that I do not make that often.
    I keep a can of Saco in the fridge...use what I need and no waste. Just mix it in with the dry ingredients and increase liquids.