Sabatier - looking for a slicer

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by dhmcardoso, Jan 11, 2014.

1. dhmcardoso

dhmcardoso

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Ok, so here is a questions that some old school chefs will love.

I am looking for a Carbon Sabatier Slicer. I have a K-Sab chef's knife and several japanese. So, which is the best one option nowadays? Also, where to find it online. 

I was thinking about Thiers Issard, just to try it, but I want to get the best option.

Thank you in advance!

2. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Not so sure whether a vintage French carbon will offer any advantage where performance is concerned. I would rather tend to a basic Japanese carbon sujihiki, by Fujiwara, Masahiro or Misono.

3. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
  4. dhmcardoso

dhmcardoso

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    It's not that I prefer or that this going to be The one. I have The knives I need for school. However, I do like my Sab and want to increase my options. My k sáb, for instancie, is over 50yrs old. I am always acquiring new tool, usually once a year. And in 2014 it's time for a Sab slicer! Hehehe
    I just wanna know what is The Best option out there.

5. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Okay, are you looking for a carving knife, a slicer, or a chefs knife????  The first one would also be known as a "clip point" knife and the second one has a tip that's rounded to approx 1" diameter and used for thinly slicing such things as ham and roast beef.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  6. dhmcardoso

dhmcardoso

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    In some webpages they also refer to 8" or longer "carving" slicers. But anyway, that's what I am looking for. a 9 or 10" carving.

7. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
  8. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Here

And here.

And here.

And here.

The seller, Ralph1396, has been an ebay seller for at least over a decade and you won't go wrong with doing business with him.  He sells quality but you'll pay for it...if it's what you really want.

9. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    This is a great price for this one but it appears that the blade needs a little TLC.  As long as it's carbon steel this one would be the one to get.  Send an inquiry to see if its made of carbon steel.

10. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I would avoid French stainless. I happen to know them very well, they are very common in Europe. In the best case comparable to soft German stainless, often much softer though. A soft carbon steel is no problem with sharpening, a soft stainless however is because of its large carbides. Proper deburring is almost impossible. To be avoided.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  11. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Ralf1396 is a stand up guy.  In fact there are several go-to vendors who sell knives that I check out when the bug bites.

12. dhmcardoso

dhmcardoso

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Kokopuffs and Benuser,

That is the profile I am looking for, but carbon.

34525V-TISabatier Slicing Knife 10"[img]http://www.thebestthings.com/knives/graphics/sabatier_slicer_10_tn.jpg[/img]$84.95

However, I am much more concerned on getting a awesome sab. As I told, I have K-sabs and they are excellent but I wonder if there are other better options. Thiers-Issard is the only alternative good option that comes in my mind, but I am not shure it is better, equivalent or worst than the K-Sab.

Best regards!

13. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
  14. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Curiously, the chef's knife's tip is rather high for a French blade.

15. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Indeed it is. I like the slicer (trancheur) but the design of the chef is not what I would appreciate. Perceval is a company based in Thiers, France.

Another thing; if I would be after a nice Sabatier, I would buy a very standard one and let it rehandle by Dave Martell who owns the website "Kitchenknifeforums".Those Percevals are way too expensive.  Look how Dave Martell rehandles knives here; http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/150-Gallery-Western-Re-Handles

16. chefboy2160

chefboy2160

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Sent you a P.M.  on what you want. Yeah they are pretty cool knives.

17. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Checkout.   It needs a really good scrub with Bar Keeper's Friend.

18. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Not sure there is no heavy pitting involved. A corroded bolster is rather the sign of gross neglect. The protruding fingerguard -- see the second picture -- will need some work.
    At that price point you better have a new one.

19. knifesavers

knifesavers

Exp:
    Other
    Gotta agree with Benuser. They admit there is "light pitting" but having done lots of old rusty carbon steel, I'll bet it is much worse.

That looks like a real rustbucket after the rust is removed with cleanser or other chemicals.

Jim

20. dhmcardoso

dhmcardoso

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    I agree with you both Benuser and Jim, for the price, I gotta admit they could at least removed the rust. Not doing this is kinda suspicious.

Daniel