S-car GO

Joined Jul 31, 2017
Hi All

Thank you if you take the time to read this.
I am wondering now, what is the taste and texture of escargot ? This why I ask. I have been eating snails since I was a child and through out my career. I am not a fine dining chef, I'm a line cook. My knowledge and experience is limited.
I arrived back in work to find the snail we had were very mushy. I am used to kinda chewy texture. Never mashed. It's weird for me. I just looking for advice

Any advice and info is appreciated

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Not to sound like a wiseguy, but, if you've been eating escargot all your life, you should be a pretty good judge on what is good and what isn't.

Escargot should not be "mushy" or "rubbery." They should be firm, but, not chewy with a consistency somewhere between oysters, scallops and Portabella mushrooms.

Their taste should be "earthy" like a mushroom and can vary slightly depending on where they were sourced.

I hope this answers your questions. :)

Cheers!

Joined Jul 31, 2017
Not to sound like a wiseguy, but, if you've been eating escargot all your life, you should be a pretty good judge on what is good and what isn't.

Escargot should not be "mushy" or "rubbery." They should be firm, but, not chewy with a consistency somewhere between oysters, scallops and Portabella mushrooms.

Their taste should be "earthy" like a mushroom and can vary slightly depending on where they were sourced.

Cheers!
But you you did, you sounded like a wise buy with undertones of prick. Not being a wise guy, just being truthful.
So thank you for your answer.
Snail have never tasted like anything to me that you described. I find them bland almost. With the flavour of what they have been cooked in.
I ask because after my two days off the snails we had could me mushed between my fingers. I was adamant that they would hold their shape.
So i threw them away. The other chefs looked at me as if i was mad (GDP) but i wasnt comfortable serving them.

I just want to know i was right.
Thank you

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I ask because after my two days off the snails we had could me mushed between my fingers. I was adamant that they would hold their shape.
So i threw them away. The other chefs looked at me as if i was mad (GDP) but i wasnt comfortable serving them.

I just want to know i was right.
Yes you were definitely right.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Wise guy maybe but not at all in the negative way you accused him of. Not nice.

As someone who has eaten snails all my life I agree with sgsvirgil sgsvirgil ’s description of snails 100%. Are you eating canned snails? Because snails definitely have a flavor of their own.

Cheers!

Joined Jul 31, 2017
Wise guy maybe but not at all in the negative way you accused him of. Not nice.

As someone who has eaten snails all my life I agree with sgsvirgil sgsvirgil ’s description of snails 100%. Are you eating canned snails? Because snails definitely have a flavor of their own.
Yes, mainly canned or in a glass jar. Thaey dont come any other way were im from. A local started doing them in brine i think, then jarred. Ive never really had them plain. Garlic butter usually. Any of your own recipes for cooking snails.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Well you should be nice, everyone here is very nice and this is a no-rudeness zone lol.

I have lots of recipes but only for live snails. I've frozen snails myself, but have never eaten them from a can. I do not know what that tastes like. Snails lend themselves really well to risotto. I make them fried, and in stews a lot.

Jin

Joined Jan 6, 2018
I think the texture should be like a well cooked octopus, not chewy, firm, tender at the same time.

Top Bottom