Rye Flour-Use Light generally for cookies if recipe doesn't say?

Joined Oct 23, 2017
Hi. I am a new home baker and new to different types of flour. I've a couple of recipes that look interesting using rye flour but don't specify what type. The recipes are either with chocolate chips or with gingerbread type spices. The one recipe with the chocolate chips says to toast the rye flour until fragrant and stir until a shade or two darker about 5 minutes, remove and then add butter stir to melt. Would that be the clue that it is light rye? Thanks much for your response in this busy season.

Joined Jul 28, 2001
Hi, I really like to work with light rye flour. Even with cookies and such, when mixed with certain ingredients it gives off a very subtle nutty flavor and aroma. The light rye flour is quite light. Usually only the inside of the berry is ground. (the endospearm).
In the good darker ryes, they tend to be a bit more mealy because they grind the germ/bran.
Your recipe that toasts the light rye, may be looking for a darker rye color. There are a lot of ways to bastardize light rye flour to make it look like dark rye. Colors, coffee beans, molasses, etc. HTH's
BTW. I tell people to wash their hands thoroughly when using rye and clear flour. I spent a long time in a bakery and I'm now allergic to both.

Joined Oct 23, 2017
Thanks panini. Does HTh'S mean hard to handle? I guess I'll use the light or medium rather than the dark. I'm making hermits. They don't look way dark.

Top Bottom