Russian Tea Room

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by chefjohnpaul, Feb 8, 2001.

1. chefjohnpaul

chefjohnpaul

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hello all. My in laws are going to NYC, and my mother in law was thinking of dining at the Russian Tea Room, in fact they faxed her a menu. I was not really blown away by it but it looked like classic fair with Russian flair. Has anyone eaten there lately? Is it any good? Is it worth the price? I would appreciate some guidance on this one. Thanks.

2. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    this may not be helpful, I dined at the RTR 20 years ago and it was a wonderful experience....NOW there is a new owner andstaff and I believe they've renovated.
    **reviews I've read are mixed. NYT did an article on caviar places in NYC a year or two ago....

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    A good friend of mine used to be the to be the dining room manager there. This was before the renovations and all the B.S with Bouly. We would go before a show and have caviar and blini with iced vodka!!Perfect.
    But...I have not been back since the renovations only peeked in,looks very cool.
    lotsa red and gold Etc. But for the money johnpaul i might hit it for a app and a drink and then move on. If you need any idea's let me know
    cc

4. chefjohnpaul

chefjohnpaul

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks for the info shroomgirl and capechef.
    Hey, capechef me thinks the in-laws may do the app thing at the Tea Room. There will be 6 in their party most of the time and Pop may be flitting the bill. Any decent places for reasonable price-fixe? Any help would be appreciated as I'm a west coast boy and not really familiar with the NYC dining scene outside of the big names in the big places. (Daniele, Portole,ect..)

[ 02-10-2001: Message edited by: chefjohnpaul ]

5. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Johnpaul, Anything by Danny Meyer is a hit. Union square cafe is super with outstanding service,Also Aquavit is very bood. Bobby flay has mesa that's fun but loud, A new hot spot is veritas (modern American)Tabla and gramercy Tavern are also Meyer places that are very good. For Italian Babbo is very good and so is Felidia's. Picholine for mediterranean is a hot spot. Steaks you have Sparks and smith and wollensky.
    Union Sg, Gramercy,veritas and Mesa are in the Flatiron area.Tabla is close by in gramercy. Babbo in greenwich village. Aquavit in midtown on the west side . Picholine is on the upper west side.So is cafe des Artistes which is a very lovely room
    Those are just a few as you can imagine New York has a million of them. But I think that's a pretty good list to start with
    cc

6. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    The Beard house has some really great meals....usually includes wine and is several courses....costs about $80-100 but including wine and guest chefs wanting to show off it's a bargain.

Have you read anything about the Peacock room recently?
    Cafe des Artistes is great for Sun Brunch.
    **Danny Meyers is a St. Louis Boy by the way.