Runny Caramel!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by danny smith, Feb 23, 2014.

1. danny smith

danny smith

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi everyone,

I've started making my own fairly basic chocolates, using high quality bought chocolate. I made a hollow shell and filled it with my own muscavado caramel ( ~ 1 part sugar with a splash of water, caramelized, then 1 part butter added), but it set to a fairly firm consistency. I would like a caramel that is REALLY runny once it's cooled, almost like a golden syrup consistency.

Thanks for you help!

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Investigate an additional ingredient - invertase - to get you from where you are to where you want to be.  There was a posting on this a few months ago; you should be able to find that with little difficulty.

3. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    When i make caramel i do not use butter. 

I let the sugar caramalize add in just a splash of water, then add in cream....

Very rich though. 

A pinch of salt helps to balance out a bit of the sweet. 

I think that for the caramel to be the consistency you want, an additional liquid would help, thus the cream comes into play. 

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Some booze would help... I don't know how exactly but booze helps everything :)

5. chris whitaker

chris whitaker

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I totally agree with this assesment. Liquid can be used to adjust the consistency of finished caramel. 

6. danny smith

danny smith

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks guys, all this advice has lead to some real breakthroughs! And I'm definitely going to look into the use of enzymes if I decide to up-scale my creations.