Rum

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by isa, Oct 24, 2001.

1. isa

isa

Most, if not all, American recipe that calls for rum always specify Myers' rum. What is so special about this rum?

Thanks!

2. daveb

daveb

Years ago, when most American recipes were written, the only rums available here were light Puerto Rican rums, like Bacardi and Meyers', a dark Jamaican Rum.

The Peurto Rican rums simply didn't provide the necessary "RUM" flavor.

Now, with many good dark rums available, It might be fun to experiment. Bermuda produces a very dark variety call Black Seal that would really be fun to cook with. Pussers, Appletons and Mount Gay would also be fine.

3. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Rum is made from a fermented form of cane juice molasses. The clear or light colored rums have been purified and thus much of that dark, rich sugar cane flavor has been lost. Dark rums retain some of the flavor and color from the original mash. There are quite a variety to choose from.
    When in Barbados on a press tour of rum producers (that's another story), I had the opportunity to taste "Cockspur"-really rummy and rich. I don't think it's available in the US, but maybe some of our friends in Britain, Canada or France may be able to obtain it.

4. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    That must been fun, fnf.

5. isa

isa

I always use Appleton Estate from Jamaica. I'll see if they carry a darker rum here.

Thanks for all the information!

6. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    although I am not a "rum" drinker per say. I would have to say the best sipping rum I have ever had is from haiti.It is called Barbancourt.There are a number of different levels of this rum, ie ageing,how many times distilled Etc. barbancourt 5 star is three times distilled (like congnac)very clean,medium amber in color and filled with dark suger cane flavor.It is not sweet at all and has a warm finish.Not really a cooking rum. Can someone help me here?

I believe Myers dark rum is mostly caramel coloring and does not gain it's color from barrel contact.I do not think it is an aged rum.
    cc

7. daveb

daveb

I believe that Meyers' and a number of other dark rums derive their color and flavor from the addition of extra molasses after distillation.

I've never tried it, but you might compensate for a too-light rum by adding a small amount of molasses to your recipe.

8. kimmie

kimmie

I see you have good taste in rum too, CC. Barbancourt is my favorite! ;)

Isa, at the SAQ, there's also Saint James Rhum Agricole de la
    France, Martinique

9. kimmie

kimmie

Visit Barbancourt

After having clicked on "Welcome" there's another little box on your right; click on Our rum and you will find lots of info on history, fabrication steps, different rums, recommended readings, etc.

I hope you enjoy it, CC!

:rolleyes:

10. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Barbancourt 15 year old "Reserve du Domaine". Very reasonably priced (@ $20.) and is aged in French oak. Rhum St. James is also very good. No mixers allowed. Yo Ho Ho.