rugelach and other jam use

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by pastrycake, Apr 26, 2011.

1. pastrycake

pastrycake

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I have several jars of preserves to use up soon.  I plan to make rugelach again but I have always made a sticky doughy mess in the past.  It is basically a butter or shortbread like cookie dough with a jam filling and sliced and rolled up then baked right?  I have always used Ina garten food network recipe in which she spread a layer of ground nut and brown sugar raisin then a apricot preserve.  Then you slice and roll up into rugelach and bake.  My problem is that the apricot  or raspberry jam melts before the baking time is up.  I think the smuckers don't hold up well so I had better luck with the local preserve.  if anyone have any tips or recipes for other desserts using jam, please share.  I just love butter or shortbread desserts.

2. cakeface

cakeface

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    bakewell tart,

lunettes a la confiture,

steamed pudding

swiss roll-sprerad with jam before rolling

victoria sponge

glaze pastries with apricot jam thinned with water

serve with batch of scones and cream

serve with butter and soda bread

3. jellly

jellly

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I just made these  last night using pineapple jam.  Don't over bake them and they are quite delicious (and very quick to put together).  

I really love this recipe, too.  It is a great way to show off nice jams and the crust is just the right texture.

4. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've made Hello Dolly bars when I've had an abundance of jam to use up.  They're simple to make, and freeze very well which is a bonus. 

5. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Jam roly poly

Add to a Victoria sponge

Bakewell tart

steamed sponge pudding

Jam tarts

And so much more!