royal icing problem

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by janie4447, Dec 4, 2009.

1. janie4447

janie4447

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi there, I hope someone can help me. I bake and decorate gingerbreads for Christmas using royal icing. However, when I flood the gingerbread, sometimes after the icing has dried there are patches of white covering most of the coloured icing. I have no idea what is causing this or how to remedy it. Hoping someone out there has some idea. Could it be the grease from the butter used in the recipe? It completely ruins the look.

2. dillonsmimi

dillonsmimi

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Ok, I'll take this...has never happened to me but have seen it discussed elsewhere...most likely "sugar" spots caused by inferior brand of 10x. The OP suggested changing brands. I do know this...if your RI is absorbing fat from the cookie it would be totally breaking the icing down as these two things don't play well together.

3. janie4447

janie4447

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi, thanks for your response. I think I've worked out the problem and indeed it's related to the grease in the cookies. Previously when flooding I was agitating the icing too much and it was picking up the grease and spreading it around. I made the icing much thinner so there is very little, if any, assisted spreading required. This has been working on the last few dozen. Thanks again... Janie

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    It's good to know this! Thanks for posting the question, Janie, and thanks for the solution, dillonsmimi.