Royal Icing or comparable

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by pxlfreak, Dec 22, 2005.

1. pxlfreak

pxlfreak

Exp:
    At home cook
    Ok I planned on making one of those ice cream cone christmas trees, and I know royal icing is the way to go but I dont know where to get Meringue Powder.

Is there a comparable icing that I could use that would set hard. Or is there an alternative royal icing recipe that doesn't use Meringue Powder

2. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    If you are going to let these harden for a display then just use xx sugar and eggwhites. add a little cream of tartar or lemon juice.
    pan

3. z~bestus

z~bestus

Exp:
    At home cook
    PXL:
    Good morning. If you are interested in buying dried meringue powder. try & locate a craft store near you. MICHAELS OR JOANNs craft stores are all around the country. Call first. Also my friend Check-out in your local yellow pages under CONFECTIOARY. Call to see if they have any in stock. I hope this helps you. Good luck & Season's greetings.
    ~Z~BESTUS.

4. cakescraps

cakescraps

Exp:
    Other
    2 1/2 Cups Confectioner's sugar
    1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1 egg white

Sift sugar 3 times with cream of tartar. In medium bowl, beat white until foamy and thick-but not stiff. Add sugar/tartar mixture slowly and stir vigorously after each addition. If needed, add extra sugar if too thin, extra white if too thick.

Yields 1 1/4 Cups

5. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    You can use "Just Whites", which is available in the baking section of the supermarket. There is a chart on the lable which tells you how to make an egg white equivalent with water. Then just follow any recipe for royal icing, using this instead. It's safe to eat, as opposed to raw egg whites.

6. pxlfreak

pxlfreak

Exp:
    At home cook
    I have a question, why is it that craft stores carry Meringue Powder lol

There are a couple michaels around me so I hope they have it.

7. z~bestus

z~bestus

Exp:
    At home cook
    PXL;
    Mchael's stores at least where I live in Las Vegas, Nevada, sport a section where they carry baking supplies like wedding cake apparatus, baking pans, choco for coating, cake decorating supplies & ete.
    ~Z~BESTUS.

8. pxlfreak

pxlfreak

Exp:
    At home cook
    Im in the places all the time and I forgot they do cake decorating classes, stupide me lol.

Anyways, I got the powder and did my trees. They turned out fantastic and everyone loved em. I was getting compliments all night on my trees and cheesecake present things I also did. Made the whole 9 hour process so worth it lol.

I forgot to bring my camera so I didn't get any pictures :(

Now on to plan something new :)

9. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Great! Don't forget the camera next time. What a pity. Keep us posted with your next project.