Royal Icing help

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by moonkissed, Dec 23, 2010.

1. moonkissed

moonkissed

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    I am new to cooking. This year I am attempting to bake cookies. Some of the cookies I am making are gingerbread and sugar. I was looking up royal icing recipes to frost them with.

My problem is I have found two different types of recipes ones that call for egg whites and ones without. With some warnings about uncooked eggs.

Well young children & elderly will be eating my cookies (well if they turn out well & i don't burn my house down lol)

Is it ok to use egg whites or should I be worried?

Thanks!

2. mercedesx

mercedesx

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    If you are separating whites from yolks, there is the possibility of salmonella because whole eggs cannot be pasteurized. To avoid this, you can buy egg whites that come in a small carton that have been pasteurized and are therefore safer to eat. Another option is to use meringue powder in place of the egg whites (approx. 1 tbsp meringue powder = 1 egg white).

3. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Really? Then http://www.safeeggs.com/ must be a scam, right?

4. mercedesx

mercedesx

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    My mistake! I've never heard of pasteurizing whole eggs in the shell before. I don't believe any local grocery stores here carry them.

I'm disappointed in your attitude, though.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  5. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My apologies, I was just surprised that you were not aware of pasteurized eggs, they've been available here for, oh say, at least 10-15 years.

I'll try to use more emoticons like /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif to clarify my posts.

6. homemadecook

homemadecook

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    You can refer to this link if you want to save time also. :)