Roux sticking to pot

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by zydrus, Nov 12, 2014.

1. zydrus

zydrus

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    When I make a roux it tends to stick to the bottom of pan I'm cooking it in.   I'm not sure if this is ratio issue or what I'm doing wrong.   I should clarify this is after I've added my liquids, not actually the roux stage itself.  So as I'm cooking it down to get the flour taste out.  I stir constantly but I still get a film stuck to the bottom of the pan that sometimes gives me a burnt flavor.  

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Pan might be too hot is the first thing that comes to mind. But you might also not be pressing on the bottom of the pan hard enough early enough to keep the film from forming. More vigorous stirring with more pressure to the bottom of the pan. 

3. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    You didn't say what ratio you use, or what type of oil. That might be helpful also.

4. zydrus

zydrus

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    As far as the pot being too hot.  Aren't you supposed to bring it to a boil in order to reach it's full thickening potential?  I can see maybe I'm not getting to the bottom of the pan hard enough while whisking at the beginning.  

Ratio might be the problem as I don't typically measure.  Just try and get that wet sand consistency.  As far as oil it depends on what I'm making.  If it is a white gravy I'll use bacon grease or olive oil.  

5. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Yes, but do it slowly. You don't need the pot to be super hot to bring the sauce to a boil, it just takes more time if you do it with less heat. I never measure either to make a roux, I don't think that's the issue. I think Phatch got it right: either you're applying too much heat to the bottom of the pan, or you're not scraping the bottom of the pan when whisking. 

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014