Rosemary, star anis, thyme, and lemon zest

Joined Dec 12, 2016
does this sound well balanced?? 

Rosemary,  Anise, Thyme and Lemon zest?? 

this is to prepare chicken in a sweet red wine. 

or should i use a white wine???

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
To what I like in food, it sounds like the flavors would be an odd confusion. My taste are not universal of course. I'm having a more difficult time placing anise in harmony with rosemary and sweet red wine especially.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I would drop the anise and use white wine. So: 

Rosemary, thyme, lemon zest and white wine. 

I would also use more thyme than rosemary, and probably finish with a little lemon juice.... here's a classic chicken recipe I often make: 
[h2]Pan roasted herb chicken[/h2]
  1. In a cold pan, put some olive oil so you get a nice film at the bottom. If you tilt the pan, the oil should form a puddle. Maybe 4 to 6 tablespoons should do the trick.
  2. Squash a few garlic cloves, peel, add to pan. 
  3. Add FRESH herbs to the pan. Thyme, Rosemary, Oregano, Bay leaves work best here. No parsley, cilantro etc. as they'll probably burn.

4. Put pan over LOW heat. Let the olive oil infuse for a while, making sure nothing burns. The herbs/garlic start cooking and may become slightly colored, that's ok. 
  5. Remove all solids from the pan, leaving the oil in. 
  6. Crank the heat to medium and add dried, seasoned chicken pieces (I just cut the whole chicken into 8 pieces or so). 
  7. Make sure you get as much beautiful golden color as possible on the chicken pieces, on all sides. This may take a while. A lot of recipes tell you "2 minutes". IMO it's more like 10 to 15mn. You don't want to go too fast or the oil will lost its herb flavor. 

8. Add a glass of white wine, put all herbs/garlic back in the pan, and cover with lid. Cook SLOWLY until the chicken is cooked (15 to 20mn). 
  9. Remove lid and reduce the white wine/herb sauce until syrupy. 
  10. Add the juice of 1/2 a lemon, check for consistency and seasoning. 
  11. Plate the chicken pieces and pour the syrupy sauce over them. 

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Rosemary, red wine, and chicken are a great combo.

Thyme, lemon, chicken, and white wine are pretty good.

Star anise is a "pig", it wants the spotlight all to itself and doesn't blend well with much except other spices, or by itself with chicken

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Star anise is a "pig", it wants the spotlight all to itself and doesn't blend well with much except other spices, or by itself with chicken
I like a tiny tiny amount of star anise with lots of lemon zest and lots of black pepper on grilled chicken. About once every other year, no more. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I would drop the anise and use white wine. So: 

Rosemary, thyme, lemon zest and white wine. 

I would also use more thyme than rosemary, and probably finish with a little lemon juice.... here's a classic chicken recipe I often make: 

1. In a cold pan, put some olive oil so you get a nice film at the bottom. If you tilt the pan, the oil should form a puddle. Maybe 4 to 6 tablespoons should do the trick.
  3. Add FRESH herbs to the pan. Thyme, Rosemary, Oregano, Bay leaves work best here. No parsley, cilantro etc. as they'll probably burn.

4. Put pan over LOW heat. Let the olive oil infuse for a while, making sure nothing burns. The herbs/garlic start cooking and may become slightly colored, that's ok. 
  6. Crank the heat to medium and add dried, seasoned chicken pieces (I just cut the whole chicken into 8 pieces or so). 
  7. Make sure you get as much beautiful golden color as possible on the chicken pieces, on all sides. This may take a while. A lot of recipes tell you "2 minutes". IMO it's more like 10 to 15mn. You don't want to go too fast or the oil will lost its herb flavor. 

8. Add a glass of white wine, put all herbs/garlic back in the pan, and cover with lid. Cook SLOWLY until the chicken is cooked (15 to 20mn). 
You e posted this before and I meant to make it. Now I'm really gonna make it.

Joined May 5, 2010
The rosemary and star anise are both very strong.

I would think they would fight and overpower the delicate thyme.

Lemon and star anise..........Hmmmmm sounds interesting.

Joined May 27, 2013

Sounds a lot like Pollo Al Ajillo. Same basic process but no thyme or lemon. Just rosemary and bay leaf. 

Example recipe : 

http://www.recetasderechupete.com/pollo-al-ajillo-receta-casera-y-facil/9272/

Yeah, I know it's in Spanish. Sorry, but you get the idea. The chicken is also broken down differently. 

Joined Sep 5, 2008

Sounds a lot like Pollo Al Ajillo. Same basic process but no thyme or lemon. Just rosemary and bay leaf. 

Example recipe : 

http://www.recetasderechupete.com/pollo-al-ajillo-receta-casera-y-facil/9272/

Yeah, I know it's in Spanish. Sorry, but you get the idea. The chicken is also broken down differently. 
Cool, didn't know about pollo al ajillo. That sounds mighty tasty and I'll have to try that as well. You can use Google to translate the website into english so it's not that bad, so thanks for the link. 

Top Bottom