Rose Water

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by pete, Aug 16, 2014.

1. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    So I happened to pick up a bottle of Rose Water the other week to play around with.  I'm going to experiment with it in a couple of cocktails and in a few baked things.  Wondering if anyone has some great, off-the-wall ideas for using it.  I've used it in a number of ways in the past but wanted some opinions on some not so traditional ideas to play around with.

2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    three ways that I have used it in the past:

Moroccan carrot salad

saffron rose ice cream

rose hibiscus vinaigrette

3. lazizaaugusta

lazizaaugusta

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Make a rose syrup, a simple syrup with a hint of rose water. 1 cup water, 3 cups sugar and 1 tbsp rose water. Try it on a pistachio ricotta crepe.

4. juju1205

juju1205

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Hi there... I've used it to make a refreshing iced tea with jasmine tea, lavender, and rose water, also used it in ice cream

5. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I feel like aside from good tea or juice it could make a great simple syrup and a plethra of differente sauces. 

I have used roses when making quail once, and i assume it could go fine with some delicate birds. 

Quail or pheasante, maybe even pigeon...

I also would assume it could work very well with alcoohol, depending on what type of drink you will be using. 

Aside from that various herbs/roots/spices go great with rose in my opinion, such as mint and ginger, i feel its very workable when combined with sweets. 

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  6. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've used it in a number of ice creams and custards in the past.  Adding it to iced tea is a new one for me and sounds like a great idea.  I have a wonderful jasmine tea that I use for iced tea and may try adding a bit to that.

Anyone out there with more great savory suggestions?

7. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Get yourself an Iranian cook book. They use it in a lot of things. Me ,I don't like flavor

8. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    During the middle ages in Europe rose water was used in quite a few recipes and it's widely used in the middle east these days.

9. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I've seen it paired with lavendar, but it's too floral for my tastes. And so is lavendar.

10. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Phatch, I agree that would be way to floral for my taste.  I am okay with lavendar alone, if used sparingly.  Too many times I've had it where it just overpowers everything less, but in moderation, and paired with something with a bit of tartness to it, it can be good..

11. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Good in baklava.  And when used as a component with a lemon or  lime juice based prep.

12. cocoanut

cocoanut

Exp:
    Other
    You should check out some more Middle Eastern food. It's surprisingly versatile, and can be used to expand the flavor profile of all sorts of kebabs and other savory meat dishes, not to mention freshening up dipping sauces like tzatziki. Jut have fun experimenting and let us know what you come up with! Hope I helped!

13. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Used as a sorbet with honey and lemon garnished with a candied rose petal.