roommate burnt my pot

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by cookm, Aug 13, 2000.

1. cookm

cookm

Man, oh man! I wake up in the morning to a burning smell and my ALL CLAD rondo sitting out on the deck! It is burnt. Really burnt.
    Apparently, one of my roomies was trying to reduce a stock and fell asleep. The acrid smoke woke another roomie who turned the pot off at 3:30 am. The metal doesn't appear to be blistered. I've burned pans before in the restaurant, but it never went for hours. Can it be saved? And any suggestions on how to get the crap off?

2. nick.shu

nick.shu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    the best trick i can offer is to cover the offending burnt stuff with water, add half a cup of white vinegar and bring to a rolling boil. Let it boil for a while and then the crap will just come off.

3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I would let it sit for a day or two with water and vinegar, then scrub it. You may even have to take a palete knife or paint scraper to it, but with a couple of washings it will come off.

4. cookm

cookm

Thanks you guys. I will try all suggestions:
    vinegar boil bath, contact All-clad...
    P.S. He offered to buy me a new pot. I didn't even have to twist his arm.

5. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I would contact All-clad and ask them what they recommend. Usually companies are eager to help you fix such problems. Let me know if you need help contacting them.

------------------
    Thanks,

Nicko
    [email protected]

6. cookm

cookm

My roommate gave me $200 today, and I ran out and got a bigger pot, at his bequest. Now I have an 8 qt. instead of a 6 qt. I did the vinegar bath for the old one and got a lot of the crap off. It's still discolored, but perhaps salvageable. Also contacted ALL CLAD, but haven't heard from them. Again, thanks for all the suggestions.
    --A big contrast to these people we did a catering gig for. They had 5 or 6 copper all clad pots and were using them as PLANT POTS.

7. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Such interesting stories.... now that's a roommate worth haning onto! [​IMG]