roll or bread recipe

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by chefbk, Oct 19, 2002.

1. chefbk

chefbk

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hello fellow chefs

I need a decent roll or bread recipe to use in an upper casual seafood restaurant. I have made breads in the past but its been awhile. I would like something a little different. I used to make a honey and cracked wheat/molasses bread that was pretty good.

Help!
    Chef BK

2. thebighat

thebighat

Here a basic soft roll that you can use to make snoflake, or knotted rolls.

1 qt water
    4 oz sugar
    .75 oz instant yeast
    1 oz salt
    3 oz dried milk solids
    4 oz butter
    4 oz eggs
    54 oz bread flour

Make a dough in the usual way, allow to ferment 1 1/2 hours, punch, let rise 1/2 hour, proceed to makeup, proof and bake.

I can dig up the percentages if you want.

3. chefbk

chefbk

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    bighat-
    I'm not familiar with milk solids. Can you tell me what it is and where I may find it? Or is there another recipe without it, also can you please tell me the percentage.Thanks.

Chef BK

4. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    The Big Hat is a Bread Oracle!

5. nancya

nancya

From Baking with Julia -- easy, adaptable...and yummy

Rustic Potato Bread
    1 ½ pounds russet potatoes (about 3)
    4 tsp salt
    ½ cup tepid reserved potato water (80°-90°F)
    1 tbsp active dry yeast
    2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    4 3/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour

Scrub the potatoes and cut them into quarters, peels and all. Toss them into a 2 quart pan, cover with water and 2 teaspoons of the salt. Boil until potatoes are fork tender. Draw off and reserve ½ cup of potato water. Drain the potatoes and spread them out on a cooling rack to dry for 20-30 minutes. It's important that they be dry before mashed.

When the potatoes are cool, stir the yeast into the reserved potato water and allow to rest for 5 minutes.

Turn the potatoes into the bowl of a mixer with the paddle attachment on and mash them. With the mixer on low speed, add the potato and yeast water and the olive oil and mix until the liquids are incorporated into the potatoes.

Replace the paddle with the dough hook. With the mixer still on low, add the flour and the remaining 2 tsp salt. Mix on low speed for 2-3 minutes, then increase speed to medium (be careful...watch for overheating). The dough will be firm at first, then softer as it is mixed until nearly as soft as a brioche.

Cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap and let it rise 20-30 minutes (it will probably not have doubled, but will have risen noticeably).

Preheat oven to 375°F. Place rack and baking stone on bottom rack of oven. You'll be okay if you don't have a baking stone..but they're nice. Prepare baking sheet or peel by rubbing with cornmeal or flour. Have a spray bottle with water handy.

Shaping the dough: Turn dough out onto a floured board and divide in two. Shape each piece into a kind of football shape by first making a ball, then flattening it into a disk. Starting at the far end, roll the dough toward you...and at the last roll, pull the free end of the dough toward you, stretching it, and dust it with flour. Finish rolling up the dough and roll it back and forth till you make a football shape. Place on the resting peel or pan seam side down. Let rise at room temp 20 minutes.

When ready to bake, spray the oven walls with the water and close the door immediately to close the steam in. Turn the breads out steam side up onto the baking sheet or peel...and put in over or transfer to baking stone. Spray the oven with water again and bake for 45-50 minutes or until the crust is very brown and the loaves sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Cool on a rack for at least 20 minutes before slicing.