Rock Salt Food Grade

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by surfcast, Dec 19, 2016.

1. surfcast

surfcast

Exp:
    Home Cook

Does any one know of a food grade rock salt , I could order on line ? I found the one above on amazon never used it, does not show the size of the crystals. If any one has tried it let me know , is it like a rock salt or a fine grade salt. Is it food safe ?

2. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    You do understand that you don't eat the rock salt in any shape or form right? It's to get the ice cream vessel cold. Well I guess also used in pickles to keep them crisp and a few other places as preservative

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  3. surfcast

surfcast

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I do get the part of not eating it  . Just wanted know if it was OK to be in contact with food . I was going to use it for baking potatoes on a bed of it, or partially submerged . How are the crystals from that salt are they really coarse ?

4. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Skip the rock salt, lightly oil your spuds and sprinkle liberally with kosher salt. Bake at 450.

flipflopgirl likes this.
  5. surfcast

surfcast

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Good Idea Chefbuba, I was going to use the potatoes for Gnocchi . Ever try it ?

6. rpooley

rpooley

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I've tried the baking potato on a salt bed and it does turn out a drier, fluffier potato.  Useful technique depending on one's need.

7. surfcast

surfcast

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Good Idea Chefbuba, I was going to use the potatoes for Gnocchi . Ever try it ?
    What did you use Kosher salt ?

8. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Years ago I worked at a high end prime rib & seafood restaurant where we used to slather our potatoes with butter and then rolled them in rock salt before baking. Definitely resulted in a drier and fluffier potato.

9. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've used kosher salt to do this with great results. I don't really understand what inherent value rock salt would have over kosher salt. 

10. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Rock Salt can be inedible. It also can be be food grade. It can be koshering salt. It can also be certified kosher. Depends upon manufacturer and process used to produce.

11. surfcast

surfcast

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Yes Kosher salt may be the way to go, way easy to find ! No matter were I look, I cant find a product that says food safe.

12. rpooley

rpooley

Exp:
    Home Cook
    It was kosher salt.  I had done about 25 potatoes in huge pans on a grill actually and I thought it was interesting that the salt made kind of a hard shell on the underside of the potato from where moisture had been drawn out of the potato.  It came off easily before serving and with a little brushing.

13. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  14. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    There are many steakhouses and fish houses that use a very coarse salt for roasting oysters. What do they use? It can't be too expensive or hard to find if a lot of the are using it.

15. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Exactly !