Roasting Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by Swordbreaker, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Swordbreaker

Swordbreaker

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I'm trying to figure out how many tomatoes (Roma and/or San Marzano) that I'll need for the rough equivalent of a 28 oz. can of tomatoes, after seeding, cooking, and peeling them. Does anyone have a rough idea of how much that would be?

2. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    It depends on the size of the tomatoes. I've had San Marzano 28oz cans that had five in them - other "Italian" types 8 or 10. Roasting is going to cook off some of the water in the tomato that's a given. I like to do a sheet pan with garlic and salt maybe some peperoncino. What I don't use after running through the food mill I bag and freeze.

3. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    Just prep the tomatoes, seed them, cook them, peel them and weigh them. Keep going until the scale reads 28oz between tomatoes and liquid.

If you are asking how many raw tomatoes you will need to make 28oz of prepped tomatoes, that depends on the tomatoes. For Romas, I would guess somewhere around 10-12, give or take. Same for San Marzanos. But, again, that all depends on the size.

I guess the real question here is why such a specific number like 28oz? Is it a situation where your recipe calls for a 28oz can and all you have are fresh tomatoes?

Just curious. :)

Good luck.

4. Swordbreaker

Swordbreaker

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    The recipe calls for that much and I want to roast them myself, and I'd like a ballpark figure of how much I need so I know roughly what to expect.

5. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
  6. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I just roasted some tomato. 6 ounce yielded 2.5 ounce roasted.