roasting potatoes part way through

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by phoebe, May 24, 2013.

1. phoebe

phoebe

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I have one oven and two dishes that need oven time.  I like to roast halved baby potatoes for @45 minutes to one hour at 400.  But I'm serving chicken that needs the broiler for about 35-40 minutes.  See my problem?

Could I roast the potatoes half-way (or more) through and then pull them out, then do the chicken, and then finish up the potatoes?  Or is there a better way?  Thoughts?

And, yes I've thought about changing the plans for dinner, but with all the gluten, lactose, soy, etc. limitations i was just given ten minutes ago (and with the addition of more people also 10 minutes ago), these two stand-bys  work the best.  Well, except for the single oven bit.

Thanks!

2. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    A good chance the pots will go black or partially black if you stop the cooking halfway.  I'd boil the pots until just done, toss them with oil and whatever is handy, and then roast off.  Depending on size, they shouldn't need more than 20 mins.

3. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    There's no right way to do this, but personally I wouldn't partially roast.  They tend to get hard this way.  I would do as food pump says, boil the potatoes first and then roast them at the end.  

Also, you could put the potatoes in at the same time of the chicken or even in the same pan, they take about the same amount of time to cook.

Or you can pan roast the potatoes.  Boil until almost done, then toss in a pan with olive oil and herbs.

Last edited: May 25, 2013