Roasting Pan

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by jte1130, Feb 27, 2005.

1. jte1130

jte1130

Ok, seems like I'm in an overhauling mode. I'm starting to replace alot of cheap wedding gifts with better quality stuff. I apologize for asking too many questions over the last few days but everyone seems so helpful.

The next thing I'm looking at is a new roaster with a rack. I just noticed cooking.com is having a sale. Any thoughts on these models:
    http://www.cooking.com/products/shco...lectionNo=1104

2. jte1130

jte1130

Just another thing that I'll probably use with a roasting pan would be a good instant read thermometer. Are there any that are better then others? or are they all about the same?

3. stephsherman323

stephsherman323

I would advise against non-stick. It is useless for searing roasts and is hopeless for gravy/pan sauces. I do like the V-racks that came with these models - they keep meat out of the drippings and allow for circulation of air under your roast.

As for a thermometer, I would suggest one of the probe styles. I like that I can stick it in there and forget about it. I don't like the normal style as much because you may have to repeatedly poke the meat, losing more juice than necessary. If you do opt for one of these models, leave it in your meat while it rests.

4. jte1130

jte1130

Good point about non-stick. It kind of does seem useless anyway if everything is going to be cooking up on the v-rack.

5. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I LOVE my All-Clad Roti (roasting) pan. It came with a non-stick, V-shaped roasting rack. After I'd bought it I read in Cook's Illustratred that it was the one they recommended. It's non-stick so you can get a good fond going from the meat juices. And it's heavy enough gauge that you can put it over a low or medium heat burner and deglaze the pan nicely. If you deglaze it, it's a snap to clean up- no scouring required. It's big enough for a 20+ pound turkey. The pan is very heavy but it's excellent. You won't have to buy another roasting pan for the rest of your life. Watch for sales; they go on sale now and then.

They do make a non-stick version, but don't buy it.

Here's one example. I got a different "set", but this looks like a pretty good price.