Roasting chicken carcass to make darker/richer broth

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by fewls, May 19, 2010.

1. fewls

fewls

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I finally have time to make my own broth. On one of the cooking shows, the chef "roasted" the chicken carcass. Can someone tell me what the recipe is for making the broth this way?   

2. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I cut up the carcass, neck and odd bits in smaller 2 or 3 inch chuncks, then put them in the hot oven in a roasting pan, until deep golden brown but not burnt. Then place them in a stockpot, cover with cold water, and slowly bring to a very slow simmer. While that's heating up I roast the aromatic vegetables in the oven (chunks of onions, carrots, celery).

Once the chicken is simmering you have to skim the top and if possible defat it, with a laddle and/or a skimmer. After a while you can add the roasted  veggies, a bouquet garni if using, let simmer a few hours, strain, cool down in ice until room temp, then freeze or chill in the fridge.

You can also rub the chicken bones with tomato paste before roasting.

3. fewls

fewls

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thank you for your reply. Hot would be 350º or hotter than that and would convection be better than just roasting? Thank you so much for taking the time to answer. I truly appreciate it!!

4. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Anywhere from 350 to 450 is ok, just look at the color of the bones and when you achieve the deep golden brown, take the bones out. Convection or not, doesn't really matter either, just look at the color.