Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by seattledeb, Nov 10, 2002.

1. seattledeb

seattledeb

For Thanksgiving I'm going to try a new Brussels sprouts recipe as a side dish. It calls for roasting the sprouts with sliced garlic for 30 minutes. Would it be ok if I did the roasting of the vegetables the day before Thanksgiving? Should I roast them for 20 of the 30 min then roast the additional 10 min on Thanksgiving, or roast them entirely the day before and reheat/finish the recipe on Thanksgiving? Thanks!

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Ham and Garlic

INGREDIENTS:

1 (1-ounce) slice white bread

3 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved

1/4 cup finely chopped country ham (about 1 ounce)

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1 teaspoon olive oil

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

Cooking spray

2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese

INSTRUCTIONS:1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.2. Place bread in a food processor; pulse 2 times or until crumbly. Sprinkle crumbs on a baking sheet; bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes or until golden. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees. Set aside 3 tablespoons toasted breadcrumbs, reserving remaining breadcrumbs for another use.3. Combine sprouts and next 5 ingredients (sprouts through garlic) in a 3-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray, tossing to coat. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until sprouts are tender and lightly browned on edges, stirring twice.4. Combine 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over sprouts. Serve immediately.

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    I'd cook them all the way but not top them yet with the crumbs and cheese. Do that just before you stick them back in the oven to reheat them. (Disclaimer: I happen to like very soft brussel sprouts. ;) But I think roasting ahead and reheating shouldn't be a problem.)

BTW: how many servings is that supposed to make? I might want to bring it to my sis-in-law's -- it looks really different and delicious!

3. seattledeb

seattledeb

4. kthull

kthull

Too late for Thanksgiving, but if you're a fan of Brussels sprouts, you might enjoy them in a more simplistic way. Whenever I can get my hands on them, I'll thinly slice about a pound along with a diced medium onion. Saute the the two with a splash of olive oil over high heat. Toss in a clove of chopped garlic, 1/4 stick of butter (heck, as much as a whole stick if you're not watching your waistline), salt and pepper. Keep sauteing and in about 15 minutes they'll be nicely caramelized...that's when you toss in a little vermouth to just finish it off for another couple minutes. Oh, so delicious!!

5. seattledeb

seattledeb

Oh Thanks! I have some more I just bought and I'll give your recipe a try. Made the roasted recipe at Thanksgiving and it was a huge hit, and shared it with some others who enjoyed it too. It's going to be a keeper for the holidays here!

Deb