Roast pork belly, skin stay crispy the next day?

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Alex899, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Alex899

Alex899

Exp:
    house wife
    Hi Chefs,

What's the trick to making roast pork belly a day ahead and the skin stay crispy?
    What're the possibilities?

TIA

2. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    Hi and welcome to CT! :)

First off, what are the circumstances that demand the pork belly be made ahead of time? Pork belly is one of those dishes that should be served immediately.

Nevertheless, if you make the belly a day ahead of time, you can use a small, propane/butane torch to crisp up the skin just prior to service.

I hope this helps. :)

Good luck.

Alex899 and md rasel like this.
  3. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Alex, the best way to cook a pork belly is Sous Vide. You can cook the pork belly until tender and then slice off pieces to crisp and serve. Nothing you cook till crisp today will still be crispy after being refrigerated. You would beed to process it back onto a grill or frypan to get crisp again.........Good Luck........ChefBillyB

Alex899 likes this.
  4. Alex899

Alex899

Exp:
    house wife
    I'm thinking to put pork belly burger on the menu

dectra likes this.
  5. jdevaul1

jdevaul1

Exp:
    chef/food truck owner
    As Billy said, it wont stay crispy after it is cooled. However that is perfectly fine! 95% of the pork belly you buy in restaurants is prepared that way. Simply cook the pork belly as desired (braise, roast, sous vide etc..) and then chill/refrigerate. Once cooled, cut your belly into the desired serving size. To reheat/crisp, you'll want to sear/brown the pieces in a skillet/pan/flat top etc.. if the portion sizes are larger, you can finish them in the oven after the sear/browning step.

6. Alex899

Alex899

Exp:
    house wife
    Thanks all

7. 21TonyK

21TonyK

Exp:
    Chef, ex-restaurateur
    Here's an idea. It may or may not suit your plan.

I tend to skin belly before braising. I lightly simmer the skin in salted water for half an hour then remove to dry and cool. I then trim the skin to the shapes required and dry in an 85c oven for 16 hours. This can then be frozen.

From frozen put the prepared skin in the oven at 220c for 3-4 minutes. I turns into perfect crackling almost instantly.

R5e7UhTX.jpg

millionsknives likes this.