roast lamb

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by debsie, Oct 16, 2012.

1. debsie

debsie

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I have been cooking salt bush lamb lately- heavenly! Pot roast slow roast it is very good!

2. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    What is a 'SALT BUSH LAMB" ?

3. debsie

debsie

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    comes from south australia & feeds on salt bush!

4. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Well there ya go . . .

On a side note I love the Australian free range beef and lamb we get frozen here.

5. kippers

kippers

Exp:
    Home Cook
    We get salt marsh lamb over here, I once fed a rejected show lamb rosemary for two week before the chop........it was a waste of thyme.

6. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Love salt marsh lamb from Orkney.

BTW, Kippers...? that was awful. (But I liked it!)

7. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Generally the lamb we buy here is either American raised lamb or we can go to Costco and buy New Zealand lamb.  I much prefer the American, it is very meaty and not as smelly.

8. debsie

debsie

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    its actually called dorper lamb here & aussies love strong lamby flavours! It's one of those meats best left simple & tart the vegies & sides!

9. kippers

kippers

Exp:
    Home Cook
    We get Lamb>Hogget>Mutton over here. I use hogget and mutton in "curry".I often wonder if the mild taste of NZ lamb is because 90% of their exports to Europe is Halal.  

10. debsie

debsie

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    it's the breed or grazing or age-the older the stronger in tastea lot of people in other cultures use goat which is excellent in crry! yum yum

11. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hey Kippers, your post made me wonder.... how are "mild taste" and "Halal" related? 

12. kippers

kippers

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I dont know, my "wonder" seems to be an extrapolation of my views on the lack of taste of kosher and halal chickens ? 

13. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    There is nothing as good as American Lamb, no matter what cut., New Zealand , Australian and yes Chilian lamb  they are  cheaper wholesale then American, this is why it sells so good here. It ismuch stronger in taste then American and a tad tougher. I am not saying it is bad just that it is not as good.. Put fresh Rosemary,Garlic and hyme S &P on anything and it will taste good. I have broken down 100s of  fresh whole racks and just by smelling and looking at them can tell the difference..In this one catagory ""You can't beat American""

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  14. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    People I know who live in the western states would tend to disagree with you on that point.

I have found that these people do not care for American lamb because of it's strong flavor.

Our property manager comes from Montana and maintains the flavor is pretty wrank.

They do however; enjoy the New Zealand, or Australian lamb cuts better.

15. kippers

kippers

Exp:
    Home Cook
    ChefEDB, have you ever tried Welsh Lamb ?

16. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    No can't say I have. I have never seen it pffered here by any of the purveyors.

17. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    One day I want to go to Iceland, I hear they have amazing lamb there.

18. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Lamb is probably one of my favourite meats. Here in the UK it is very popular. Welsh, Scottish or English, I love them all, Kentish salt-marsh, ditto Orkney and Welsh are amongst my favourites. I like mutton for hearty soups like Scotch broth although some of my family say it tastes much 'gamier' than they like.

I eat a lot of lamb in Greece, too - although I find it much fattier ( and in some cases stringer!) than UK lamb!

From what i have read, it seems to be much less popular to eat lamb in the USA, outside of ethnic groups,

19. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Lamb in Greece - yuck it's too stringy and way overcooked for me.  Very bony too.

In the US - we're getting there.  I'd say 20yrs ago lamb was unheard of on an American dinner table.  Nowadays it's become more popular.

20. debsie

debsie

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    looking forward to tasting it!