Road trip!

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by teamfat, Mar 18, 2014.

1. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
  2. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    LOL too funny - I wonder how many people go speeding by that and have no clue what it means.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  3. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    LOL! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

4. funmatters

funmatters

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    When someone does get the joke I suspect they'll be a set of skidmarks on that road!

5. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    A sign i drove past every day on my way to work in southeastern arizona a few winters back.

Ummmm...self explanatory...

not a road sign per se but one that i truly adore....it's from a very small tasting room in the very small town of pescadero, california where i am spending the winter working....

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  6. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I entered Ethel on one of my recent road trips!

7. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    There's a truly no-where town on Highway 89 in Utah named Hatch, for which I've always had a fondness for what should be obvious reasons. Somewhere, I have an image of the sign at the city limits, but this one will have to do for now, of Hatch Station

8. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
  9. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Forget the chicken - I WANT that truck!

mjb.

10. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    It's got my name on it! It's mine!

11. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Hatch, NM is a quite unique place (love the chiles)

So many tiny tiny towns in the west, so spread out... I love it!

Having lived right on top of all of our neighbors my entire life,

this is heaven to me, well, if I could just throw in a beach and the Pacific Ocean, I'd be good!

12. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    HAHAHA!

@chefbuba  Ethel, where?  That's a hoot, I want to look for that one on our next road trip!!

13. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The Ethel sign reminds me of a bad joke about Fred Mertz at the gas station.

mjb.

14. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Ethel,WA

15. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    We will definitely have to take a detour on our continuance of our Pacific Coast Highway Road Trip. :)

16. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Hey, Joey--

If you're still in central Calif, and if you happen to get up north around Napa, visit the Pride Mountain Winery, a small, high-quality operation located on the ridge of the hills btween Napa and Sonoma counties, just to the west of the CIA's campus near Napa.  It's fun as they bottle both Napa and Sonoma wines- the county line runs down the middle of the winery's parking lot and they have crushing tables mounted on wheels... they roll 'em over to one side and crush  Sonoma-raised grapes, and to the other side to crush  Napa grapes! This evidently meets the terroir requirements of whatever bureaucracy regulates these labelling matters.

Their wines are very nice, too, though more pricey than we usually spring for at our local TJ's. We brought back 4 or 5 bottles of their Viognier, which goes especially well with the Malpeque oysters we fancied at a nice restaurant in Walnut Creek, where we were visiting our daughter and her family. The Napa visit was a day trip, where we also had a great lunch at the CIA restaurant.  (About the only time the two of us have ever spent $100 for lunch./img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif   Worth every penny, though- one of those memories for a lifetrime.) The very nice lady at the front desk at the CIA restaurant suggested PMW and called to intriduce us, after we asked for a suggestion.  We had previously hit a couple of the big industrial wineries, and wanted to see something more intimate. PM fit the bill nicely.  I don't think they distribute, but only sell direct from the winery.

Mike