Road Trip-Our Great Western Adventure

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kaneohegirlinaz, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Eat all of your meals in restaurants

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Have picnics

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Utilize the grill at your hotel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Go to the local Farmer's Markets

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Get prepared foods in delis/markets

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other (You can elaborate on the thread)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    This past September was a benchmark wedding anniversary for my handsome husband and me.  We were going to take one of those cruises, but when we looked at the cost of it, we decided that we’d do something that we had talked about for more than 15 years.

We took a road trip from our new home state of Arizona through Utah, Wyoming, Montana, over to South Dakota and then homeward bound via Colorado.

We wanted to hit as many National Parks, Sites and Monuments that we could along the way. 

Historic, awe inspiring, breathe taking and flat out beautiful, America.

First stop, Bryce Canyon

We didn’t get into our hotel until the later part of the afternoon,

so we went across the way to the sister hotel for dinner.

Ruby’s Inn

The Soup and Salad bar sounded pretty good after a long day. 

This was a little different though, the soup bar also had some hot veggies, so we augmented our bowls.  This night's choice of soup was clam chowder and beef barley. 

Along with a piece of in house made corn bread and biscuits, our meal was very satisfying.

Heh, wait a minute, did I see soft serve ice cream?  Yup, for any extra $1.99 we had the ice cream bar too.  Interesting, rice crispy treats, brownies, toppings and vanilla or chocolate ice milk really. 

Neither of us had eaten something like this in quite sometime. 

It was GOOD!

kokopuffs likes this.
  2. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Ruby's Inn - nice place indeed.

mjb.

3. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food

We spent a second night in Bryce

and seeing as this little town is owned pretty much by one family,

we went to eat at Ruby’s again.

My loving husband ordered the Trout and when he asked for double veg,

I thought the waitress was going to lose it. 

“You don’t want any potatoes?  How about some French fries? 

You mean you ONLY want vegetables?” 

For me, I wanted something a little different.

I had a bowl of chili and a side baked potato, but could they put all of the fixin’s on the side? 

She gave me the funniest look, like, are you nuts lady? 

I made my own deluxe stuffed potato.

I must be honest, we had dessert a second night.

Apple pie ala mode, it was heaven. 

When I asked the waitress if they made their own pies,

she just shrugged and said “It’s from that place they order all the food from”. 

Sysco?  “Yeah, that’s it”.

4. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Depends on the day's events, budget, and where we're staying.

Breakfast is usually what the hotel offers or something quick from the cooler: Yogurt, fruit, granola, or such.

Lunch is often again from the cooler and what we're carrying unless time or a great eating place or longer break is dictated by the trip. 

Dinner might be a restaurant or it might be something we planned  to cook depending on the trip. I've cooked in parks in towns along the way before and will again. 

But it looks like you started off well. I've eaten at Ruby's Inn once about 20 years ago. It was winter and we went to cross country ski along some of the Bryce viewpoints. Nice contrast of red limestone and white snow.   The trees were turning color late this year in UT so you might have missed some of the high country color. 

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  5. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Yup phatch, there wasn't any color as we past through Utah.  Not until the later part of the trip, as we got to the higher elevations.

Just beautiful.

6. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Next stop, Tremonton Utah.

Where the heck is that, you may ask and why would we go there?

Well, this is the closest city with a hotel to the Golden Spike National Historic Site.

This is where the joining of the rails of the first Transcontinental Railroad across the United States connecting the Central Pacific and Union Pacific railroads occurred on

May 10, 1869, at Promontory Summit, Utah.

And that was your US History lesson of the day.

No, really, this place is so amazing.

Granted, we had to go out into the middle of nowhere. It was very beautiful.

There’s nothing here, so if you go, take cold water and a picnic.

Not much in Tremonton either.

A girlfriend of mine had sent me an email while we were on the road and she said, “I’m sure the car is a moving grocery store.”  YUP!

I had done a lot of searching on the `Net while we planned this trip,

looking for different places and ways that we were going to get fed.

What I found for this locale was in the next town over, JC’s Country Diner.

It says that it’s in Tremonton, but really it’s not.

We had the special of the day, salmon plate with tots and THE special tot sauce, along with green beans and bacon (DH had corn on the cob rather than the tots).

This is served with your choice of bread and I had read that their scones were really good. Different. I wouldn’t call it a scone, it seemed more like fried bread, taste.

This is very much the local hang out for coffee and a chat. This ain’t no BEVERLY HILLS, this is the country. Where folks is folks and a diner will give ya’ an honest, square meal, nothing fancy, just good grub.

We only stayed but the one night, too bad, I liked it here, but it was WAGON’S HO!

7. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Back before the freeway was completely finished you had to drive through town.  There was a diner called Crossroads Cafe, the type of place where the locals had coffee cups with their names on them, waiting for them to show up.  Nothing fancy, but some really good breakfasts.  Used to do some rock climbing off to the west, in City of Rocks.

mjb.

8. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    ... loved all of the little 'Mom & Pop' places we found, darling husband and I were talking on the last leg of our tour driving homeward bound, and we didn't eat in a SINGLE national chain or any fast food place, I made sure of that.

9. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    All I have to say to that is: BRAVO. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

10. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The Railroad companies from the East and West both purposely passed each other rather than meeting.   Congress passed a law so they were given a good chunk of land on each side of the track they laid, something like a mile on each side. This was as an incentive to get the tracks built.  It was perhaps too much of an incentive. It took another act of Congress to make them meet and the location was set by law.  

Of course, the actual Golden Spike is off in California on display. 

I had a pretty good lunch in a little town out beyond Tremonton  called Snowville. Don't remember the name of the place, but there wasn't much competition.  

If you eat off-brand breakfast cereal from Malto Meal, they have a big plant by Tremonton.

11. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    My sweet, adoring husband reads the Philly paper and found this article this morning, this is what I'm talking about!

http://articles.philly.com/2013-10-06/travel/42766210_1_wegmans-healthy-food-restaurant

(love wegman's) I'd like to know why there are not MORE better eating options along Intertstates in the US (granted, we weren't on one more than twice are entire trip)?

That could be the next 'fast food' national chain restaurant!  the people demand it! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif

12. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    That's what that was!   We couldn't figure that out and the 3G service was very spotted (...but that was most of our trip, even in hotel rooms)

13. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    ON WARD!

To, Jackson (Hole) Wyoming, loved it!

So beautiful, a little on the tourist-y side,

but all in all we really enjoyed our time there.

We stayed at Cowboy Village Resort,

In a one room log cabin with a kitchenette, YIPEE!! 

AND we had a picnic table, plastic lawn chairs

and a charcoal grill out front, loving this!

My first stop?  A grocery store.

I found the Jackson Whole Grocer not far from where we were staying.

Nice grass fed beef... so I got us a cowboy steak,

some outstanding fresh local veg and

a bag of Match Light!  Lighter up boys!

I also bought a bunch of other foods for breakfast

and picnic lunches when we went into Grand Tetons National Park.

One morning I made us bacon and eggs; it think most of our neighbors were jealous,

when I went out to pack up the car for the days outing,

the young couple staying in the cabin next to us asked if they could come over for dinner.

We took the dirt road (wrong way, but we made it) to Teton Village

on the recommendation of a friend, and took the Aerial Tramway to the top

for cocktails; the ride was free after 4pm and gorgeous!

We had one really rainy-foggy day and couldn't see the mountains,

so we decided to amble around the town square and have early supper.

Another friend had highly suggested that we go to Local.

My husband ordered the local grass fed beef, Cheeseburger,

while I wanted to try their handcrafted charcuterie,

duck prosciutto, paté and a nice piece of havarti, MAN!  What a great meal, in Wyoming!

Earlier that day we had lunch at Bubba’s Bar-B-Que Restaurant,

smoked turkey breast with two sides, corn and beans, YUM!

Then it was back to the cabin to relax on our front porch,

watch the storm pass by and chat with our neighbors and their dogs,

what a great place!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  14. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Sounds like a lovely trip, k-girl, and I hope you continue to have so much fun. Great that you will share it with us.

Just an idle question... is that bucking bronco statue in Jackson Hole a real Remington, or is it a copy of his famous sculpture? (If you happen to know.)

Mike

15. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Ya' know Mike, I'm not really sure, I didn't happen to notice the name on that one, all though I did see some Remington's (I'll tell you about it later, but you have to come back to read more on this thread) while we were in Cody.

If you have the oppertunity to go to Jackson it is so worth it, just gorgeous.  Of course now their under I don't know how much snow, but if you ski...

We spent the entire month of September on the road, it was a BLAST!!! 

16. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    K-girl, I'm looking forward...

Mike

17. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    This Is What We’ve Been Waiting For!

Leaving Jackson, we headed north towards Yellowstone National Park. 

There, we stayed in West Yellowstone Montana for four nights. 

I’m glad that we had a `fridge and a micro.

We had stopped at the local ‘mega-market’ and found some

healthful choices for lunches/picnics while spending our days in the park.

We would start out each day (this hotel didn’t offer free breakfast) with a yogurt,

a piece of fruit and a low fat granola bar each morning and were in the park no later than 8am. 

It seemed that the route through the West Gate of Yellowstone was a particularly busy locale to view wild life at that time of the day.

Our first afternoon’s luncheon was alongside Yellowstone Lake at a beautiful picnic area. 

As I turned my back to reach for something or another in preparing our meal,

we were joined by several rather large birds, who insisted that we share with them. 

Oh, so this is why they have signage everywhere telling you that feeding the wildlife is considered animal cruelty. 

They no longer forage in the wild, just at your table and they were a little aggressive.

We tried dinner one night at the restaurant connect to our hotel, meh. 

When we looked at their dessert offerings, we decided to pass. 

There must be something else around these parts.

YUP!

Outpost Restaurant around the corner.

My better half had a Butterscotch Sundae (when was the last time you saw that?)

and I had the special cake for the week, Triple chocolate cake with a side of Huckleberry ice cream.

In fact, we went back to the Outpost for breakfast our last day and had sugar cured ham and the best hash browns I’ve had in a while.

On our last night in town, we had the Turkey as well as Baked chicken dinner plates; of course dessert too!

And what’s a trip to America’s first National Park without going to Old Faithful and the Old Faithful Inn?

For lunch we ordered Bison and Pheasant sausage with sauerkraut cooked in Apple cider, mash, and the best mustard on the side!

Now that was an adventure of a lifetime, another check mark off the bucket list!

18. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    A few months back, I was fortunate enough to reconnect with an old friend from Hawaii, who I hadn’t seen in over 30 years.

It just so happened that DH and I were planning this month long odyssey and guess where she lives now?  Montana!  HEY, we'll be in Montana!

So we added Helena Montana into our itinerary and I’m so glad that we did.

So load ‘em up and let’s go visiting.

I’ve realized that here in the Plains-States there are very few Interstate Highways and most of our journey was on much smaller, more picturesque roadways.  Several times we got to see ranchers and their cowboys, that’s right real cowboys, moving their livestock for the upcoming winter.

Also, in many cases, we traversed unimproved roads, just dirt.

But, if you want to get to an out-of-the-way locale, that’s what you have to do sometimes, like to get to my friends house!

So we got there in one piece and spent an evening with my long time friend and her adoring husband who made supper for all of us on the grill.

Now, it happens that DF’s husband hunts and dinner was from his most recent outting.

Elk cheese burgers.

Super delicious!  I had never had any kind of game before, and I really liked it.

We brought to the party a pie from a local bakery and a couple of bottles of wine.

So the gals sat and chatted while the guys watched football and did guy stuff.

I hope that we can do this again soon!

19. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    K-girl, you have been giving us a delightful account of an obviously wonderful trip.  I am hoping there will be more details to come.  I'm also assuming it all happened before the gubermint shut down "our" parks, monuments and public places.

Looking forward to more of your travel narrative, and thank you!

Mike  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

20. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Hey Braddah MikeLM, so many Mahalos (thanks)! 

I really appreciate the kudos, it’s nice to know that you’re enjoying the journey that we took (I hope you read the one about Durangojo too). 

Yes, dearest husband and I took this trip last month. 

We were gone for a little more than a month actually, so yes,

we were VERY fortunate in that it was just before all of the closures and not to mention SNOW!!!  (I didn't got snaps of the most unbelievable storm we had to go through in one of Colorado's passes through the Rockies, at the Continental Divide, because I was too SCARED)

My husband is an excellent travel agent... stay tuned ...