Road to Sous Chef

Joined Jul 20, 2020
hello, i am a current Lead Saute at a steakhouse. Ive been cooking for 3 years. Ive worked every station on the line. Ive worked eggs & omelets & diners & typically will always be 2nd best to lead or kitchen manager when it comes to eggs & omelets. I had a lead cook at ihop tell me when he was quitting that he would leave me in charge to run the kitchen but i didnt want to bc i was getting paid exactly as same as lead. I had a KM at another spot tell me that when he retires he wouldnt mind leaving me as KM(salaried) he would call me his 2nd best cook next to the Lead. Ive worked pasta, saute. Ive worked broil at a fast food spot for a year (my 1st cook job) i never went to culinary school. I get paid $18/hr. I am the highest paid on the line. Everyone else gets paid 14 or less. Ik that bc i do(i dont ever ask or speak about pay with other cooks trust me) noone knows how much i make besides the chefs. Even wifh $18 an hour i top 37 hrs when busy & like 30-33 when slow. I have to pay parking $12 a day plus commute 40 miles a day to work & 40 back home. I want to become sous. I have already asked one of the sous. He said " 1 never knows untill they actually become sous" the Exec. Has been there for 20 plus years. There is 4 sous. The exec. Sous left before the covid pandemic. But rn i dont think theyre looking for a new sous since were limited cap. But even with $18/hr its hard to get by bills. I pick up 3-4 extra gigs with instawork every week. I love cooking so much i even do it on my off time. But im so close to picking up union ironwork to get by & leave this industry. I am good at my job i train my guys i get good feedback & work well with my guys they listen to me i have been there for almost a year. I feel like sous will never come. If i make sous i WILL stay in the industry. I need more money like today. I need advice. Also ive worked FAST FOOD BROIL not steakhouse broil. When its slow i hop on broil to learn but i hardly get the chance. Im not 100 on broil like i am on saute. All the other stations are self explanatory(i only work saute there) i can do sushi, pantry, shuck oysters. But i need to master broil. I am good at expo on my station. I speak spanish too. Any advice in regards to becoming sous thank you. Btw im 20 years old turning 21 next month.

Last edited:
Joined Sep 17, 2018
hello, i am a current Lead Saute at a steakhouse. Ive been cooking for 3 years. Ive worked every station on the line. Ive worked eggs & omelets & diners & typically will always be 2nd best to lead or kitchen manager when it comes to eggs & omelets. I had a lead cook at ihop tell me when he was quitting that he would leave me in charge to run the kitchen but i didnt want to bc i was getting paid exactly as same as lead. I had a KM at another spot tell me that when he retires he wouldnt mind leaving me as KM(salaried) he would call me his 2nd best cook next to the Lead. Ive worked pasta, saute. Ive worked broil at a fast food spot for a year (my 1st cook job) i never went to culinary school. I get paid $18/hr. I am the highest paid on the line. Everyone else gets paid 14 or less. Ik that bc i do(i dont ever ask or speak about pay with other cooks trust me) noone knows how much i make besides the chefs. Even wifh $18 an hour i top 37 hrs when busy & like 30-33 when slow. I have to pay parking $12 a day plus commute 40 miles a day to work & 40 back home. I want to become sous. I have already asked one of the sous. He said " 1 never knows untill they actually become sous" the Exec. Has been there for 20 plus years. There is 4 sous. The exec. Sous left before the covid pandemic. But rn i dont think theyre looking for a new sous since were limited cap. But even with $18/hr its hard to get by bills. I pick up 3-4 extra gigs with instawork every week. I love cooking so much i even do it on my off time. But im so close to picking up union ironwork to get by & leave this industry. I am good at my job i train my guys i get good feedback & work well with my guys they listen to me i have been there for almost a year. I feel like sous will never come. If i make sous i WILL stay in the industry. I need more money like today. I need advice. Also ive worked FAST FOOD BROIL not steakhouse broil. When its slow i hop on broil to learn but i hardly get the chance. Im not 100 on broil like i am on saute. All the other stations are self explanatory(i only work saute there) i can do sushi, pantry, shuck oysters. But i need to master broil. I am good at expo on my station. I speak spanish too. Any advice in regards to becoming sous thank you. Btw im 20 years old turning 21 next month.
Your best bet at a Sous chef position is to take a job elsewhere. There doesn't seem like there will be anything opening up anytime soon at your current place. I've done long commutes before but paying for parking? Seriously? How does your restaurant not have any space for employee parking? I'm also curious how big a place this is and where it is located. It would have to be a pretty large scale place to need 4 sous chefs, plus lead cooks and 2nd lead cooks (never heard of 2nd leads to be honest)? $18/hr for a line cook at 20 is a pretty good wage to be honest, considering you have no formal training and could only possibly have so much prior experience. You need to have a serious talk with your chef and see what your future opportunities are in reality, not some distant promise of maybe. If you have reached the maximum you can at your current job it is up to you to decide if you want to pursue higher positions elsewhere.

Joined Jul 20, 2020
Your best bet at a Sous chef position is to take a job elsewhere. There doesn't seem like there will be anything opening up anytime soon at your current place. I've done long commutes before but paying for parking? Seriously? How does your restaurant not have any space for employee parking? I'm also curious how big a place this is and where it is located. It would have to be a pretty large scale place to need 4 sous chefs, plus lead cooks and 2nd lead cooks (never heard of 2nd leads to be honest)? $18/hr for a line cook at 20 is a pretty good wage to be honest, considering you have no formal training and could only possibly have so much prior experience. You need to have a serious talk with your chef and see what your future opportunities are in reality, not some distant promise of maybe. If you have reached the maximum you can at your current job it is up to you to decide if you want to pursue higher positions elsewhere.
The whole 2nd lead i meant. That was at other jobs where i was given good feedback. But right now i work in beverly hills in a steakhouse. We have our exec chef, 4 sous & a chef de cuisine & we had a exec sous but she left

Top Bottom