Risotto

Joined Nov 5, 2007
One of the best I ever made was lobster, finished with big blobs of bearnaise rather than butter.

mjb.

Joined May 5, 2010
Shallots, garlic, white wine, stir, stir stir, finish with freshly chopped basil, fresh Reggiano Parmesan, knob of butter....present with 24-carot gold flecks. WOW!

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Variations in technique would probably result in a pilaf more than a risotto. Not that pilafs are bad, mind you, just different than risotto. I have seen various non-stir recipes, but haven't tried any.

My problem with risotto is that it is all book learnin' so to speak. What I make is quite tasty but I have never had risotto in an Italian place, so I have no idea if mine is typical or not.  Someday soon I should remedy that.

And at least Salt Lake has gotten to the point where Olive Garden is no longer voted "Best Italian" in town.

mjb.

Joined Jul 9, 2014
One of my favorites was pumpkin risotto, the base was a pumpkin puree. I have never tried non stir risottos(stirred in end though) seen one done by thomas keller and looked excellent visually.

Joined Apr 23, 2015
T
One of my favorites was pumpkin risotto, the base was a pumpkin puree. I have never tried non stir risottos(stirred in end though) seen one done by thomas keller and looked excellent visually.
that's sounds pretty nice, I might try that! Did you have any other key Ingredients?

Joined Apr 23, 2015
One of the best I ever made was lobster, finished with big blobs of bearnaise rather than butter.

mjb.
Shallots, garlic, white wine, stir, stir stir, finish with freshly chopped basil, fresh Reggiano Parmesan, knob of butter....present with 24-carot gold flecks. WOW!
[/quo Sounds pretty rich on creaminess[emoji]128522[/emoji] But might be good!

Joined Jul 22, 2015
Made a really nice beetroot and mushroom risotto just then, for dinner, as it happens. Baked the beetroot for 1 hr with butter and then pureed most of it, leaving the odd smallish chunk. Then added it in after 'toasting the rice', as stock was added. Some mushroom, minced, was added at this point, some slices 5 mins before the end, for textural contrast. Right at the end some parsley went in for some green contrast. The adults loved it and the kids disliked it, of course, the latter always preferring some manky old tough piece of gristle which could be labelled 'meat' to anything vegetarian. Such is life at our place.........

Joined Sep 3, 2015
2nd the pumpkin, either with white wine and porcini (I tend to use good quality dried ones, that way you get to use the soaking water instead of stock, oh the mushroom-y goodness) and finish with parmesan and butter.

Also pumpkin and chorizo or even nduja (spreadable salami type) fried and then crumbled on top while using the extracted spicy salty delicious oil...

The latest "leftover" night we had I used some leftover rotisserie chicken with dried bush tomatoes and some fruity white wine, went down with the crowd like a treat! I think for me personally risotto is a dish much like pizzas or stir frys, could use almost anything in it with a little planning and skillful combining.

Thing to remember as well is that the rice does really matter! I've always been on the fence about going out and spending heaps on "fancy" risotto rice but oh man does that really make a difference! First time I visited a local Italian deli and got some good aged carnaroli rice I did a side-by-side test with just your regular supermarket arborio and there was a mile between those two.

Last edited:
Joined Apr 3, 2008
I'm with Miley, anything goes in risotto. My personal favorites are spinach risotto, tomato risotto or mushroom risotto. I also make a beautiful blue cheese and pear risotto topped with smashed walnuts.

Joined Feb 17, 2010
Like others have said, anything goes, the technique is still basically the same. Rock shrimp with roasted chicken & spinach is one of my favorites.

Another I used to do was spinach and scallion. Puree spinach and scallions with stock and add about half way through, gives a nice bright green color.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
I've mentioned this a few times along the way, but when I do a mushroom risotto I use beef broth instead of chicken or veggie. And add just a half pinch of ground nutmeg.

mjb.

Top Bottom