Risotto help

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by pierre, Nov 17, 2005.

1. pierre

pierre

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I'm making a dungeness crab risotto as part of thanksgiving dinner. i plan on makng the dish as close to serving time as possible but with 6 people contributing to the meal i'm concerned that if the timing gets off and the risotto is done early it will turn to paste before it is served.

is there any way to either keep the risotto creamy until it's time to be served or retard the cooking so that it can be finished off at the last minute.

i can't imagine that at a restaurant, the cooking process doesn't begin until the time that someone orders the risotto.

2. castironchef

castironchef

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    I'd hold it, covered, in a double boiler. No worries.

Not sure how you're planning on cooking it, vis-a-vis the crab. I'm assuming that you'll be using crab stock as a/the liquid and adding the crab meat towards the end. If so, I'd hold the risotto in the double boiler until just before service and add the crab.

3. danimalarkey

danimalarkey

4. pierre

pierre

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    thanks for digging up that thread. very useful info and encouraging.

i guess i have to go out this weekend and catch some dungeness crab :)

5. dano1

dano1

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    don't try to hold hot-it'll turn to glue. take it 2/3 of the way, spread on a sheet to cool. reaheat and finish with stock, crab, whatever else you are going to toss in there, serve.

Don't hold hot, you will regret it.

6. pierre

pierre

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Dano1,
    thanks for the additional info!

7. chefatl

chefatl

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Dano is correct. We always cook til al dente and finish at the last minute with stock, butter, and whatever seasoning we are using. Ex. Asparagus tips that are pre blanched. Also make an asparagus butter to use in place of the whole butter.