Risky businesses

Joined Nov 25, 2017
hi chefs
First time doing sit down dinner,300 guest with 25 staff.main course is beef and chicken duvet.do you think 25 help is enough .30 tables.any suggestions for main course.thank you

Joined May 5, 2010
hi chefs
First time doing sit down dinner,300 guest with 25 staff.main course is beef and chicken duvet.do you think 25 help is enough .30 tables.any suggestions for main course.thank you

Shalom Chef and welcome to ChefTalk. If we could get just a bit more info from you to help that would be appreciated.

25 in the kitchen or total?

Joined Nov 25, 2017
Shalom Chef and welcome to ChefTalk. If we could get just a bit more info from you to help that would be appreciated.

25 in the kitchen or total?

Thank you for getting back to me .
At the time of the party I have total 25 help plus me.i could switch them between the hall and kitchen.
One hour cocktail hour .only pass around.after that guest sit down and I would serve them salad on the plate.after one hour start serving dinner.

Joined Feb 8, 2009
I would have 8 spooning up and 8 waitstaff. Otherwise you have to many people standing around. Eight waitstaff would give them 4 tables apiece. If you add a 4 busboys they would be able to carry a few plate that wouldn't fit on tray in order to bring 10 plates to each table at one time. This would give each waiter/waitress 4 trips back to the kitchen. The 8 spooning up the plates would be in two areas so as to speed up that process. so all in all it would be 8 kitchen, 8 waitress and 4 busboys. Good Luck.......ChefBillyB

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Sounds about right to me.
10 waiters
5 food runners
2 expo
8 kitchen (4 double sided plate up lines)
1 owner/caterer

Joined Aug 21, 2004
just ideas, that's all, a springboard per se
preparations can be changed, modified easily enough, or spark other ideas
make puff pastry without dairy
prosciutto becomes bresaola
chevre becomes aquafaba cashew mozzarella?

Joined May 5, 2010
We're dealing with Kosher food here so there is a religious prohibition with regards to mixing meat and dairy. Also any pork products are a no-no.

Chef the Chicken would go well with a rice or cous cous. The beef could handle any preparation of potato that doesn't contain prohibited ingredients.

As for the staff...the OP has not told us how the staff of 25 is divided up. 25 is a lot of staff to feed 300.

Joined Nov 25, 2017
We're dealing with Kosher food here so there is a religious prohibition with regards to mixing meat and dairy. Also any pork products are a no-no.

Chef the Chicken would go well with a rice or cous cous. The beef could handle any preparation of potato that doesn't contain prohibited ingredients.

As for the staff...the OP has not told us how the staff of 25 is divided up. 25 is a lot of staff to feed 300.
Thank you chef for mentioning the kosher food limitation.i am testing different recipes to find a good chicken and beef combo plate .any suggestions?
If you think 25 staff is too many and very costly then what would be a good plan to have the minimal staff and serve the food in 25 minutes brackets.

Joined Jun 27, 2012
I don't know what you already know (assuming this is offsite?) and am basically flying blind re this event so here are a few thoughts.
Take what you need and leave the rest behind lol.

To be fair (thinking tip breakdown) I would have 10 servers which gives each one 3 tables (30 diners total)...some could take more but you would most likely need another runner so six of one or half dozen of the other...this is your cherry and I would advise you err on the side of caution this one time.
Add in the runners (one per 2 servers) helping with the trays and the bread and drink refill (plus the occasional dropped napkin or fork).
Once the main is cleared and everyone is settled into dessert and coffee your servers will take on the bulk of their own guest duties with the end game to be turning a couple of the runners into bus boys (who is responsible for washing and packing dishes?) and reinforce dish pit.

If you have been given a budget for staff and you don't need all 25 do you keep the extra (and sweeten the tips for a job well done for those who worked)?
If they are unknown to you have a chat with whoever is sending them and get a breakdown on who does what the best and go from there re assignments.
Then talk to them yourself and weed out those who don't fit your standards and either ask for replacements or reassign to the more experienced (pay a couple more bux or whatever ;-) servers.

No matter how hard you plan something will go wrong so walk the venue (with the party planner) and plot the tables and doors and hallways so you can start placing drink stations and tray stands and bus tub positions.
Ask and note if there will be a stage or podium and where the bartenders will set up.
No worse feeling than setting up outside of a door and then open it and find a stack of amps for a keynote speaker or musicians.

Lastly keep a smile plastered on at all times and this will give everyone the impression you are in control and having a great time lol.

mimi

Joined Nov 25, 2017
Thank you chef for mentioning the kosher food limitation.i am testing different recipes to find a good chicken and beef combo plate .any suggestions?
If you think 25 staff is too many and very costly then what would be a good plan to have the minimal staff and serve the food in 25 minutes brackets.

Thank you chef .10 waiters,6 runners and 8 in the kitchen 1 expo would be the ideal .I do not have the luxury of pick and choose in regard to waiters but my guys would be in kitchen and do runners job.

Top Bottom